• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is it possible to have 2 magical items at lvl 7?

Miguel Borges

First Post
Using the magical item distribution system from the DMG and Xanathars guide, can a level 7 character have two uncommom combat magical items (bracells of archery and +1 long bow?) If it's too much to be handled by the GM, can't he just buys one of the items?

LapBandit

First Post
I have found this formula works best for determining how many items you should have:

img6.gif

x is your level, b is the CR of a deadly creature for your party, a is the month after launch the adventure came out.

JUST KIDDING - two uncommon items is not unbalancing.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Using the magical item distribution system from the DMG and Xanathars guide, can a level 7 character have two uncommom combat magical items (bracells of archery and +1 long bow?)
Sure, it’s possible. The tables in the DMG are random, so I’m not sure what the odds are of getting it that way, but it’s certainly possible. The guidelines on magic item distribution on Xanathar’s Guide are based on the average results on the DMG tables and they recommend 2 major Uncommon items for the party in the 1st-4th level tier, and 5 in the 5th-10th level tier. Assuming relatively even distribution through each level in a Tier, a party might have 5 major uncommon items between them at 7th level. Having 2 of those 5 might be reasonable in a 4-person party. There are a lot of assumptions being made here though. Ultimately, magic item distribution is entirely up to the DM, so there’s no garuntee he will give you the specific items you want, that he’ll distribute them evenly throughout each level, or that he’ll be using the guidelines from Xanathar’s or the DMG tables at all.

If it's too much to be handled by the GM, can't he just buys one of the items?
Maybe? You’ll have to ask your DM. The default assumption in 5e is that magic items are not available for purchase. The DM is free to rule otherwise, but until you’ve conferred with your DM, you should assume that you cannot buy magic items.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Using the magical item distribution system from the DMG and Xanathars guide, can a level 7 character have two uncommom combat magical items (bracells of archery and +1 long bow?) If it's too much to be handled by the GM, can't he just buys one of the items?

I don't know what is that, but I want it.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
It's possible to have a Legendary magic item still level 1, if the DM is into it. The DMG specifically mentions a ring of invisibility in the example on page 135 - a discrete nod to The Hobbit.

If your DM isn't allowing the items you're describing in random encounters and random rolls, "buying" the items likely won't be an option either; after all, the DM determines what's for sale too.

Pushing the issue in your game isn't likely to make your game or experience any easier, and it's not like people on a discussion forum can trump your DM's call, no matter what we say or think.

CTurbo

Explorer
by level 7, it's not uncommon for each player to have 3-5 magic items. When I DM, I'm usually pretty giving on the magic items with the exception of +armor. I have a Cleric in one campaign that had 3 magic items by level 4.

I usually give out a +1 weapon pretty quick like level 2-3 and then a magic wearable like next level. Mixing in magic consumables along the way.

AMLopezGaming

First Post
Since this is a discussion on homebrew games vs. Adventurers league, isn't the treasure given out up to the DM anyway? If the DM wants to grant a ton of items to their players and take the challenge out of the game by making the characters so powerful they never feel danger, then so be it. Adventurers League is a bit lighter on magic items over all, but it is still possible to obtain two uncommon items by level 7. Heck, I have a level five AL character that has a rare item (And could have had two, but there was another player who didn't have any magic items at all.), so it is not that uncommon to see level 7 characters with two or more magic items.

Remove ads