Is it possible to use an object as an improvised reach weapon?

Yes.

PHB: "often, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such."

So if the improvised weapon is 12 foot pointy stick it can be treated as a lance. There are some farm implements that could be treated as glaives. A chain can be treated as a whip. In which case it's limitations would be the same as the weapon it most closely resembled.

Satyrn

First Post
If so, what are the limitations?

It rather depends on the item in question, and whatever the DM and players agree to.

Like, if my player grabbed a coat rack and started swinging it at the zombies, I might give it reach. I definitely would give it reach of the player said hey "I grabbed this because I figured it would be a reach weapon."

snickersnax

Explorer
So could a 6' spear be used as an improvised halberd?

Could a wet rope be used as a whip? To use the reach property of the whip, would you have to have whip proficiency or would it be sufficient to have only simple weapon proficiency and tavern brawler ?

Oofta

Legend
All the answers really come down to "Ask your DM". Is it possible to use a wet towel as a whip? I'd say no but your DM may disagree.

I may allow some things but with slight modifications and possibility of breaking on a nat 1. It may also do slightly less damage. That pitchfork may be a good stand-in for a trident but it's not designed to hold up to repeatedly stabbing people in the face.

I can't imagine many improvised reach weapons, that doesn't mean my players couldn't.

Bawylie

A very OK person

Could a wet rope be used as a whip? To use the reach property of the whip, would you have to have whip proficiency or would it be sufficient to have only simple weapon proficiency and tavern brawler ?

A 6’ spear could be used as an improvised halberd but would be way more effective as a spear.

A wet rope could be used as a whip. I wouldn’t require whip proficiency for anything other than applying the proficiency bonus to the attack roll.

A wet sheet could be used as a net.

An apple can be used for a sling’s bullet.

Bag of cats like a grenade.

No, a pointy stick is not like a bladed stick. S a 6' spear could be used as a 6' spear or as a quarterstaff.

I would rule that a wet rope could be used as an improvised reach weapon (1d4) but not as a full whip. It is not weighted appropriately. (What's the damage of a whip anyway?)

You would not need proficiency or tavern brawler, but you would not get your proficiency bonus. Hence why it it called improvised.

Tavern brawler gives you proficiency (i.e. your proficiency bonus to your attack role) and does not control your ability to use something as a weapon. Anyone can pick up a sword and swing it to attack, they just do not get a proficiency bonus to attack if they are not proficient.

Oofta

Legend

A halberd is twice as heavy as a spear, so I would say no.

Remove ads