• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is KotS dumbed-down?

Kitsune

Explorer
Can anyone with access to the core books chime in about whether KotS's rules are properly 4e, or if they're stripped-down to simplify gameplay? I recall the introductory adventure box set for 3e, and some of the monsters and rules were very bare-bones. My gaming group's going to be using KotS to judge whether 4e is a viable system to use, so I'd be sad if it turned out that the included rules and monsters weren't using a complete and proper 4e ruleset.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Eh? The Quick Start rules are 16 pages. The core rulebooks are about 800 pages.

Or, more accurately, the QS rules are 16 pages and the combat rules only in the PHB are a LOT more than that.

unobserved

First Post
Morrus said:

Or, more accurately, the QS rules are 16 pages and the combat rules only in the PHB are a LOT more than that.

Actually, that's not even really true. The DM Quick Start rules which contain more "rules" information than the player's quick start are only 9 pages. 10 if you count the page that explains how to read a monster stat block

Crothian

First Post
I imagine it is using the proper rules. It is not using the complete rules but WotC did use what they needed. It is a simple module with not a lot of variety to keep it easy and short. I think it will give you a good idea of what the game is like but not a complete picture. Be patient. In about 2 weeks you'll be able to ask all the questions you want and get answers.

Kitsune

Explorer
Morrus said:

Obviously the QS rules don't contain the entire meat of the rulebooks; what I'm asking is whether the rules that they DO contain are accurate.

[Edit: i.e., the lack of disarm rules are fine, as none of the PCs have the ability. But if the rules for, say, charging and ranged attacks are different from the 4e core, there's a problem.]

Last edited:

unobserved

First Post
Kitsune said:
Obviously the QS rules don't contain the entire meat of the rulebooks; what I'm asking is whether the rules that they DO contain are accurate.

[Edit: i.e., the lack of disarm rules are fine, as none of the PCs have the ability. But if the rules for, say, charging and ranged attacks are different from the 4e core, there's a problem.]

as accurate as you can cram into 9 pages and likely as accurate as you'll need to pass judgement. but to answer your question, yes, i imagine that they are significantly terse and possibly a little dumbed down.

Jhaelen

First Post
I guess it's possible or even likely that some of the quick-rules are not identical to the final, complete rules as written in the 4E core books.

There are at least two good reasons why this may be the case:
- the adventure was written before the core books were finalized
- using the complete, correct rules would have taken too much space, so they were altered/simplified to make the adventure playable.

Remove ads