• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is my DM being fair?

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Late to this one, but your DM sounds like a control freak who probably says NO alot. I personally have no problems with either luck or alert feats. So the character gets three rolls possibly, but if this is an encounter rich environment, than those luck points will run out. Its the DM's job to see to that endeavor lol.

As for alert, well, its great for getting the drop on an encounter early on, but as you progress in levels, you will find that a capable DM will have encounters with NPC's with possibly the Alert feat too.

A great DM says yes you can and will play to lose, a DM who says NO alot and plays to win is a :):):):):):) dm and should go back to DM'ing 101 to relearn his craft.

Scott

I recently joined a beginning 5e campaign where I am playing a human charisma rogue(charlatan background.) I was unable to take the "lucky" feat since the DM deemed it broken, so I took "Alert."

We are all now third level and I have been informed by the DM that I can no longer use the Alert feat. He feels, now, that this feat is broken as well because I can't be surprised, and that I have had crazy high initiative rolls due to the +5 added to initiative rolls, and he finds it hard to come up with a reason to explain why I'm not surprised, so he pulled it from my character.

For those DM's out there, is this fair? As a player do I try to fight it, or just suck it up and take the nerf? I'm assuming I get to pick another feat to replace it, any suggestions?

I'd love to hear your comments!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Let's also not forget that a round is 6 seconds long. So these initial attacks everyone is talking about is not necessarily people trying to react in milliseconds from each other, hoping to notice muscle twitches, or beads of sweat, or any other thing to try and justify reacting or not reacting to attacks that may or may not be coming from ambush.

The attacks all take upwards of 6 seconds to make and complete. So there's absolutely no reason to question whether a person being ambushed could notice and react to an attack coming. If it could take 6 seconds for that ambushing attack to be started and made, of course there's enough time for the non-surprised defender to react to it, including getting their own shot off first!

If the non-surprised defender can't see the attacker because of a failed perception check, then the defender can either Dodge if they'd like (which would cancel the advantage the attacker would have gotten for being hidden), or they can make their own attack at disadvantage because the ambusher is hidden (and the defender would need to guess the space to attack too.)

We want to make the start of every combat like two dueling gunfighters reacting to each other by milliseconds, but in truth the definition of a round makes all of these attacks much longer to complete, and more than allows for people to make and complete theirs first.

Sent from my SM-J320V using EN World mobile app

Caliban

Rules Monkey
If the non-surprised defender can't see the attacker because of a failed perception check, then the defender can either Dodge if they'd like (which would cancel the advantage the attacker would have gotten for being hidden),

I'm afraid that the Dodge action only helps against attackers that you can see. If they are hidden, they would still have Advantage against you and Dodge won't cancel it out.

However, if they are just around around the corner or something (not actually "hidden" just in a place where you can't see them) and they have to move into your line of sight before attacking you - then Dodge would still help.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm afraid that the Dodge action only helps against attackers that you can see. If they are hidden, they would still have Advantage against you and Dodge won't cancel it out.

However, if they are just around around the corner or something (not actually "hidden" just in a place where you can't see them) and they have to move into your line of sight before attacking you - then Dodge would still help.

Good call. I don't think I've ever had a situation where one of my players attempted to dodge when the attacker was hidden, so I had forgotten that part of the rule. Much appreciated!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
@doctorbadwolf [MENTION=6799649]Arial Black[/MENTION] I too feel you've brought some good arguments to the thread. Where I feel like right now, today, is that indeed every attack is somehow slightly perceptible before it hits. The bushes start to rustle. The swordsman's fingers twitch on the hilt of his undrawn sword. That could very well solve my narrative problems.

I like to imagine the defender is reacting as the ambusher is performing the action that initiates combat, but before the ambusher's attack or whatever resolves, most of the time.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I disagree with the idea that ALL attacks a preceded by clues which are automatically perceived, even by creatures that failed their Perception checks. It's against the rules (in that successful checks mean you gain the information, while FAILED checks should mean you FAIL to get that information) and contrary to the established narrative.

Let me take it step-by-step. First, there is more than one way to be 'not surprised'; I'll just talk about the two ways that we have been discussing:-

1.) 'notice a threat' (by way of the DM saying you notice it automatically, or a successful ability check contest)

2.) 'immunity to surprise' (by way of the Alert feat, Weapon of Warning, various other abilities)

In the same way that 'poodles are dogs' AND 'rotweilers are dogs' does NOT mean that 'poodles are rotweilers', you can be 'not surprised' because you 'noticed a threat', you can be 'not surprised' by being 'immune to surprise', but this does NOT mean that being 'immune to surprise' makes you 'notice a threat'!

Being immune to surprise means that you are 'not surprised' even though you did NOT notice a threat!

If you are a trained assassin, spending all your resources on being almost undetectable before you strike, and you make all your skill rolls, use silence/invisibility and so on, and the victims all fail to match your Stealth with their Perception, but they happen to have faster reflexes than you, the fact that they are immune to surprise should not result in the DM ignoring the facts that the rolls have established re: you being hidden! The DM should not give information that should be gated behind successful Perception checks, nor should he narrate your arrow 'hitting or missing' (which is what breaks hiding, not 'attacking') before you resolve your attack.

Sure, the victims have a chance to detect the attack before it is resolved (hear the bow creak as it is bent back, or whatever), but we already rolled for that and established that the victims FAILED to notice these clues. Therefore, the DM should not give these clues anyway!

The alert guy in this situation has NO direct information about the (successfully hidden) assassin!

The alert guy DOES know that combat is starting, and can make educated guesses to help him make smart decisions.

Immunity to surprise is very useful, but it is not an automatic 'I win' button; it does not make you 'notice a threat'; it makes you 'not surprised' even if you FAIL to 'notice a threat'.

Still digging through the thread, but this is a great post.

While I'm not a fan of any rule that guarantees success (I prefer advantage on surprise situations, but RAW doesn't have a surprise check), the most important thing here is to not get caught up on the "meaning" of the word surprised within the game rules.

What is surprised?

It means you can't move or take an action on your first turn of the combat (which in 3.x would have been called flat-footed), and you can't take a reaction until that turn ends.

The "immunity to surprise" is really more about reflexes than it is about being surprised. So somebody with the alertness feat is simply faster at reacting to the unexpected. It's not really about educated guesses, it's about training your body to react without conscious thought in my mind.

For the musicians out there, think of it like learning to play a fast line in a piece of music. Your fingers move faster than your brain. This is the same thing, the body acts instinctively.

An example:

One of the few uses of a reaction is the shield spell. So the assassin is hidden and undetected. We'll say he's using a bow. Normally, the conditions are perfect, the assassin is undetected, and he takes his shot. Because they are surprised, they are unable to react. But somebody with Alertness picks up the slightest clue - a glimpse of the arrow from the corner of their eye, sort of an innate sense, and reacts, casting their shield spell.

Yes, the assassin was undetected, and remained so. But as soon as the arrow was loosed, there was something new to detect. Most people miss it altogether, but somebody with alertness picks up and reacts instinctively.

And bows don't creak. But that does allow a real life example. Bow hunters typically don't like their chances from anything more than about 30 yards out. One of the reasons why is because the bow string (and other pieces of equipment) does. There are mufflers available, but it still makes noise. And a deer has amazing senses and reflexes, and that is enough to make the difference between a kill shot and a deer being injured with an arrow. The deer could have been standing with 10 of its human friends, and it would be the only one that would have reacted - without even thinking about it. That to me is alertness in action.

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but your group and the DM could always come to some agreement for a houserule for any feat that the DM feels is too strong. He does not have to ban the feat outright. He could just weaken it a little.

Kalshane

First Post
Consider this conversation. An invisible opponent attacks Batman.

"What, but how did you...?"

"I've trained to fight unseen opponents extensively, and I realized that if an invisible assailant were to ambush me, this would be an ideal time to do so. Also, I'm Batman."

I totally heard this in Kevin Conroy's voice in my head.

I finally had to bail from this campaign, all the warning signs a lot of you posted finally happened, along with the DM starting to play favorites with one of the female players, it was a truly frustrating situation.

Remove ads