• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is "Natural 20" an auto-hit in 4e?

Something I was wondering and was never really addressed by the previews, if you roll a 20 an an attacks do you hit whatever high is the defense you are aiming for, like in previous editions?

D'karr

Adventurer
Just Another User said:
Something I was wondering and was never really addressed by the previews, if you roll a 20 an an attacks do you hit whatever high is the defense you are aiming for, like in previous editions?

Yes, a Natural 20 on an Attack roll is an Automatic Hit. It is also a Critical Hit, which means that it does Maximum Damage. A Natural 1 on an Attack roll is also an auto miss.

SuperJosh

First Post
I believe that even though a nat 20 always hits it only crits if the total of die roll+ mods would have hit.

EI the enemy has an AC of 30, you roll nat 20+6=26. You still hit, even though your roll was less than the enemies AC, but you do not crit.

If the creatures AC had been 26 or less you would have hit and crited

Cirex

First Post
SuperJosh said:
I believe that even though a nat 20 always hits it only crits if the total of die roll+ mods would have hit.

EI the enemy has an AC of 30, you roll nat 20+6=26. You still hit, even though your roll was less than the enemies AC, but you do not crit.

We need the entire text block of critical strikes to confirm that.

psionotic

SuperJosh said:

I really hope that this is the case...

Tao

First Post
psionotic said:
I really hope that this is the case...
To my knowledge, this is the correct interpretation according to the demo that I played though I cannot specifically remember reading it anywhere.

psionotic

Wolfwood2 said:
Why? It hardly seems like something likely to come up enough to be worth worrying about.

No, it doesn't come up often. That said, doing it this way isn't hard to remember, adds a bit more versimilitude, and makes the game slightly less 'swingy;' a stated design goal of 4e.

Remove ads