• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Natural Armor a Special Quality?

pbd

First Post
If not what is it?

For example; does an Elemantal Savant that attains 10th level and gains the "special qualites" of a medium elemental of tht type gain the natural armor?

shilsen

Adventurer
No, natural armor is not a special quality. The special qualities are listed under the ... wait for it ... "Special Qualities:" section of the creature's description in the MM.

hafrogman

Adventurer
pbd said:
If not what is it?

It's just a stat that every race and creature type has. Like a movement rate or strength score. It's just that for many the natural armor rating is 0, and not mentioned.

pbd

First Post
yes, I am aware that there is a section called special qualities and natural armor is not usually listed there, but wouldn't it be logical that the fact that some creature has very tough skin or whatever be a quality of that creature? Wouldn't that quality be rather special? Or am I just totally off using logic in DnD again...

Crothian

First Post
pbd said:
yes, I am aware that there is a section called special qualities and natural armor is not usually listed there, but wouldn't it be logical that the fact that some creature has very tough skin or whatever be a quality of that creature? Wouldn't that quality be rather special? Or am I just totally off using logic in DnD again...

It's not special, everyone has natural armor. Some just have +0

Vorput

First Post
pbd said:

I think yes, that would be logical... and probably not even crazily-overpowered... but since when has D&D ever been logical? And it's def not what the designers had in mind with that class.

Vorp.

Lorehead

First Post
pbd said:
... wouldn't it be logical that the fact that some creature has very tough skin or whatever be a quality of that creature? Wouldn't that quality be rather special? Or am I just totally off using logic in DnD again...
Aren't spell-like and supernatural abilities abilities? Rather extraordinary ones, at that?

In D&D, "special quality" is a term of art. It has a specific definition. The fact that the words "special" and "quality" have other meanings in a different context is an unfortunate accident, and in this case an unimportant one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads