• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Is PAIZO becoming the next Wizards?

Wicht

Hero
Wow.

I wonder if I should try to sell my copy.

That was my first thought.

My second thought was, I wonder how much it will go up to?

In the end, I'm too much of a bibliophile to part with a book for mere money (knowing its valuable makes it even more of a prize). But I do know that if I see a copy anywhere for less than $100 I'm probably going to buy it without a second thought.

ggroy

First Post
Discussions on whether Paizo can become the next WoTC should probably occur after they invent a brand new kind of game never seen before that becomes so popular it's like printing money.

Or a Pathfinder related video game, which becomes bigger than World of Warcraft. :)

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
It always makes me a little bit sad every time I read that one of the major factors for the demise of TSR is the multiple settings. I'm not disputing the fact, but the thing is I loved all those 2E settings and I still consider that period before the fall as one of the golden periods of D&D. Perhaps my group was a bit different than most because between us all we probably purchased every setting box set, adventure or supplement. Anyway, it makes me a bit sad because it means that no publisher is ever likely to repeat what I fondly remember as the golden age of campaign settings.

I think publishers today find a happy medium with this by making settings that can fit into a much larger campaign setting. Take Freeport for example. Its GR's setting, but it can be inserted into Pathfinder Chronicles, Forgotten Realms or any other setting that has a similar location that fits that bill. The elemental planes, plane of shadows, "underdarklands" (or whatever you can to call Drow Land), frontier towns, etc can all be done in a similar fashion.

resistor

First Post
It always makes me a little bit sad every time I read that one of the major factors for the demise of TSR is the multiple settings. I'm not disputing the fact, but the thing is I loved all those 2E settings and I still consider that period before the fall as one of the golden periods of D&D. Perhaps my group was a bit different than most because between us all we probably purchased every setting box set, adventure or supplement. Anyway, it makes me a bit sad because it means that no publisher is ever likely to repeat what I fondly remember as the golden age of campaign settings.

I heartily concur. I didn't start gaming until after 3e was out, but I've really enjoyed going back and reading all the old 2e campaign settings. It makes me really sad to know that that kind of creativity isn't economically viable.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
I heartily concur. I didn't start gaming until after 3e was out, but I've really enjoyed going back and reading all the old 2e campaign settings. It makes me really sad to know that that kind of creativity isn't economically viable.

Well... to be fair, it wasn't just one element that sunk TSR. A wide range of campaigns splitting your audience and increasing your production costs (spend more to sell multiple products to basically the same amount of people you could sell one product line to) certainly didn't help, but it wasn't alone in making up the Doom that Came to Lake Geneva.

In order for Paizo to become the next Wizards, they need to catch lightning in a bottle. In other words, they need to do something like:

1. The original D&D craze
2. White Wolf creating a goth RPG zeitgeist back in the 90s
3. M:tG launching the CCG end of hobby gaming into the stratosphere

Something like that

(I don't consider the 3E launch one of these things. It was more along the lines of a reboot than a revolution)

I don't see it happening through rehashing a past edition of Dungeons and Dragons and putting out quality adventures and settings. They can become(if they aren't already) a solid 2nd tier RPG mainstay, but they need to come up with something revolutionary to exceed that.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
In order for Paizo to become the next Wizards, they need to catch lightning in a bottle. In other words, they need to do something like:

1. The original D&D craze
2. White Wolf creating a goth RPG zeitgeist back in the 90s
3. M:tG launching the CCG end of hobby gaming into the stratosphere

Something like that.

Well, since Paizo's founder and owner (my boss) was more or less at ground zero helping make Vampire and Magic the smash hits they turned into... I'd say our chances are better than slim. :p

Remove ads