• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Is Pathfinder going to slow down?

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I was flipping through an adventure from one of their APs and noticed that there was this fight where it didn't have stats for the creature, only stated "See monster book X pg XX". If I were a Paizo customer this would irk me significantly

I am a Pathfinder customer from the beginning and it doesn't irk me in the least. I just use available tools to make my prep easier.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'm ok with the current Pathfinder output.

I'd also be OK if they slowed down the new releases.

Will the system crash under its own weight eventually? Maybe. But it's not there yet.

Kinak

First Post
I'm a player in living Pathfinder , so some weeks I come and some I don't. The place where we play has no access to Wifi so checking out the online SRD would be out of the question.
Yeah, it very easily might cause problems with Pathfinder Society. I honestly don't know enough about PFS to even say one way or another.

But, as came up earlier in the thread, PFS has been growing in leaps and bounds. So, regardless of how either of us personally feel, the evidence we have suggests that people having to reference books in PFS games hasn't stopped its growth.

Cheers!
Kinak

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I guess for me, I want something I can use without having to do lots of extra work in order to use it. Sure there are lots of work-arounds, but if I wanted to do that much work I wouldn't have spent the money and simply did it myself in the first place. The purpose of a published adventure is so a DM can run an adventure without having to do the prep work (other than reading it). Forcing a DM to look up info online and in other books defeats that purpose.

You say these things as if they're universal for everyone and they are most certainly not. And yes I know you said "I guess for me* but you follow that up with a more definitive "The purpose of a published adventure is so..."

Even with the prep I do to run AP's and prewritten adventures it's still almost always easier that creating, documenting and running something that I create from scratch. I dont have the time or the inclination to do it anymore. And even if I DID pre-written adventures are STILL as resource for something other than plot and story. Maps, NPC's, Art, even certain traps and encounter setups can be yoinked to serve other purposes. Even if you start off running a pre-written adventures and the PC's decide to zig instead of zag and the GM decides to go with it? It could be the jumpstart to a great series of games or a campaign.

And as for workarounds...to YOU they're workarounds, to me and I'm guessing more than a few others they're TOOLS to help facilitate game prep.

When I'm at work on my lunch break and I want to prep? There's literally NOTHING stopping me from doing so. Between the PFSRD app on my tablet and phone and the actual PFSRD? I l do it ANYWHERE. I dont need to lug my books around with me when I have almost all of what I need as PDF's on my tablet or saved up to DropBox or Google Drive. And before someone brings it up? I can count the amount of times I havent had access to the materials that I need because of lack of internet access. ZERO.

darjr

I crit!
I've said this elsewhere but it bears repeating here.

When I started running a lot of Pathfinder Society I was a bit intimidated by the fact that I needed to get monster stats out of other sources. Then one weekend I ran an adventure with about 10 minutes of prep time. I had a few books open on the table next to the printed mod and I thought it was going to be a disaster. Turned out that those books, open to the content I needed like monsters and such added something that caught me by surprise. Those monster entries and setting details and magic item descriptions were beaming context and setting and flavor straight to my brain right there during the game. I riffed off the contents laid out before me like a wizard weaving a complicated impromptu spell. It was a ton of fun and I'm no longer worried about having to reference 'out of mod', even on short notice.

darjr

I crit!
You are aware that the PFSRD is not Paizo's work, right?
Yes, you're right, I did those folks a disservice. The d20PFSRD is a great work, and I thank those involved.

However, what I meant was that Paizo gives that stuff away so that they CAN do it. That is fantastic.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You are aware that the PFSRD is not Paizo's work, right?

The PRD is the official Pathfinder SRD; I'm sure that's what he meant.

[Edit, no apparently he didn't!]

Though I'd argue that any version of it is Paizo's (or other publishers') work in the large, except for the formatting and the OGL is pretty cool in that it makes that work useable in that manner, and Paizo is pretty cool in that they make it easy to do so.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads