• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Power Strike a Weapon Attack?

Smurtis

First Post
What about critting? If i hit with an MBA using a long sword and crit, the damage would be 8+str (max damage)... if i decided to use a power strike upon hitting with that crit, adding an extra 1[w], am i able to then max out that dice roll aswell? Making it 8+8+str? Or do i roll it seperatly as you would with a sneak attack damage (1d8+8+str)?

DracoSuave

First Post
What about critting? If i hit with an MBA using a long sword and crit, the damage would be 8+str (max damage)... if i decided to use a power strike upon hitting with that crit, adding an extra 1[w], am i able to then max out that dice roll aswell? Making it 8+8+str? Or do i roll it seperatly as you would with a sneak attack damage (1d8+8+str)?

Absolutely. It is not additional damage resulting from the crit, so it is maximised.

FireLance

Legend
For that matter, I think sneak attack damage would also be maximized. It's only damage dice that you only get if you score a critical hit (such as from a magic weapon or a weapon with the high crit property) that is not maximized.

Bagpuss

Legend
For that matter, I think sneak attack damage would also be maximized. It's only damage dice that you only get if you score a critical hit (such as from a magic weapon or a weapon with the high crit property) that is not maximized.

Not only sneak attack but a thief's Backstab power is maximized on a critical so if you roll a critical then is a good time to decide to use the power.

Bagpuss

Legend
Except with backstab you have to decide to use it before you roll to hit.

Erm no you don't.

Trigger: You make an attack roll against an enemy within 5 squares of you using a basic attack with a weapon. The enemy must be granting combat advantage to you.

The trigger is making the roll. So you can only use the power AFTER you make the roll.

It can then be used after seeing the result on the dice. Best times to use it are when you roll low, as the +3 bonus will most likely be enough to turn a miss into a hit with a thief character, or if you roll a 20 where the damage automatically become maximized.

twilsemail

First Post
This needs to be fixed as it opens up holes for those who need to follow RAW at all costs.

Edit: It should say Class Power. Not unlike how Half-Orcs have the racial ability that does something similar (Half-Orc Racial Power)

Wouldn't that mean that every single class with Power Strike can no longer use Power Strike, as an MBA is inherently not a class power?

FireLance

Legend
Wouldn't that mean that every single class with Power Strike can no longer use Power Strike, as an MBA is inherently not a class power?
I think he's referencing the fact that power strike is called a "Fighter Attack". If it was called a "Fighter Power", then the issue of whether it would benefit from damage bonuses to weapon attacks would not arise.

DracoSuave

First Post
I think he's referencing the fact that power strike is called a "Fighter Attack". If it was called a "Fighter Power", then the issue of whether it would benefit from damage bonuses to weapon attacks would not arise.

Fighter Utility.

There's no such thing as a _____ Power as a descriptor in the modern templating. It's either a Utility or an Attack, as far as I know, across the board for any power made now, intended to clear up what is and is not an attack.

The thing with it being an attack is, if you have effects that recharge encounter attack powers, they'll affect this. As it is a replacement for the encounter attack powers that you select, this is entirely intentional and desired. Making it a utility would reduce its effectiveness as what it's supposed to be: Your encounter attack powers.

(by corollarry, anything that recharges utility powers should not be able to touch this)

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Erm no you don't.

Indeed you are correct - my Encounters group was playing it wrong.

That said, I think its ability to turn a hit into a miss (after you already know you've missed) is IMHO worth more than the +2.5 average damage you would get spending it on a crit.

Remove ads