• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Ptolus living up to the hype?

Theron

Explorer
Ptolus makes me sad. Not because I'm disappointed in the product -- in fact, quite the opposite -- but because my odds of getting to run it anytime soon are depressingly slim. My D&D group already alternates between three GMs and one of them runs a big urban city campaign (which isn't much like Ptolus, but try telling them that. My other likely bunch of gamers aren't keen on D&D and lousy at keeping a regular schedule.

But I take it out and fondle it and read bits of it as the mood strikes me and hopefully, one day, I'll get a group together to tackle it. Maybe when The Kiddo gets a little older.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Theron said:
Ptolus makes me sad. Not because I'm disappointed in the product -- in fact, quite the opposite -- but because my odds of getting to run it anytime soon are depressingly slim. My D&D group already alternates between three GMs and one of them runs a big urban city campaign (which isn't much like Ptolus, but try telling them that. My other likely bunch of gamers aren't keen on D&D and lousy at keeping a regular schedule.

But I take it out and fondle it and read bits of it as the mood strikes me and hopefully, one day, I'll get a group together to tackle it. Maybe when The Kiddo gets a little older.
It's actually pretty easy to run a one-off dungeoncrawl under Ptolus in The Dungeon. Almost any Goodman Games module that doesn't involve overland travel can be wiggled under the city with little effort. That might be a way to win your group over.

For a one off, The Transmuter's Last Touch (either keeping them as kobolds or changing them cosmetically to ratlings) would work great, as would The Lost Vault of Tszshar Rho (Old Ones = Galchutt, in this case). I'm currently running Legend of the Ripper here on EN World as a Ptolusized pbp.

Theron

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
It's actually pretty easy to run a one-off dungeoncrawl under Ptolus in The Dungeon. Almost any Goodman Games module that doesn't involve overland travel can be wiggled under the city with little effort. That might be a way to win your group over.

For a one off, The Transmuter's Last Touch (either keeping them as kobolds or changing them cosmetically to ratlings) would work great, as would The Lost Vault of Tszshar Rho (Old Ones = Galchutt, in this case). I'm currently running Legend of the Ripper here on EN World as a Ptolusized pbp.

Well, for the group to be won over, the major obstacle is that The Missus loves all forms of RPGs except fantasy. And since I already play in one game away from the house each week, I'd want to do this one closer to home. And any game she doesn't play in at home makes her like unto The Cranky.

As noted in another thread, Banish to Couch is one of the nastier spells known to Spouse. ;)

Still, it's worth a thought. Though I'd really love to run a very player-driven Ptolus with the PCs starting off at the city gates and let destiny take them where it will.

Ah well, buying a RPG book is a ticket to dream, isn't it?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hmmm, I bet the battle between chaositech and technology and the moral murkiness of the Shuul and the slumbering Prustan goddess of technology could combine to make a neat sci-fi/action movie campaign idea that might work for her, depending on how rabidly she's against fantasy. The Matrix with swords, perhaps.

Thrommel

First Post
Well, for the group to be won over, the major obstacle is that The Missus loves all forms of RPGs except fantasy.
Please make my selfish DM dreams come true and run an Etherscope campaign set in Ptolus.

-Thrommel, who will also insist on a GM log and a player campaign journal. And stats. And a pony. (But a neo-Victorian steampunk pony, of course.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads