• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Renwick Caradoon a hint?

Inglorin

Explorer
Hiho,

was it Mearls or Crawford that said in a recent GenCon interview we should look out for supposedly unimportant NPCs in the published adventures to get a hint about the coming story lines?

Has anyone pondered the significance of the Archlich Renwick Caradoon in the Sacred Stone Monastry in Princes of the Apocalypse? Are we going to experience another Troll War in the Realms?

NOOBARYZ

Villager

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Princes of the Appcalypse is over 5 years old. I’m pretty sure whatever future storylines it was hinting at have happened already. It might be interesting to try to figure out which of the next couple adventures were hinted at in it and how, but looking that far back doe hints at still upcoming storylines seems fruitless to me.

aco175

Legend
@NOOBARYZ welcome to the boards, thanks for participating.

I would think that these hints that are 5-6 years old should have already happened like that @Charlaquin stated. I would wonder if any hints are in the new books like Tasha's or such.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
@NOOBARYZ welcome to the boards, thanks for participating.

I would think that these hints that are 5-6 years old should have already happened like that @Charlaquin stated. I would wonder if any hints are in the new books like Tasha's or such.

Well, the next Adventure storyline after Xanathar's Guide was Water deep: Dragon Heist, which included Xanathar as an NPC and potential nemesis: indeed, I'd lay odds they chose the Xanathar theme for the general rules book precisely because they were presently working on Waterdeep, same with the flimsy connection of the Yawning Portal in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Similarly, Volo has appeared as an NPC in several adventures subsequent to Volo's Guide to Monsters, along with the actual in-game item, Volo's Guide to Monsters.

So, my bet would be the next storyline is going to feature Iggwilv and/or Baba Yaga in some significant fashion.

Quickleaf

Legend
Well, the next Adventure storyline after Xanathar's Guide was Water deep: Dragon Heist, which included Xanathar as an NPC and potential nemesis: indeed, I'd lay odds they chose the Xanathar theme for the general rules book precisely because they were presently working on Waterdeep, same with the flimsy connection of the Yawning Portal in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Similarly, Volo has appeared as an NPC in several adventures subsequent to Volo's Guide to Monsters, along with the actual in-game item, Volo's Guide to Monsters.

So, my bet would be the next storyline is going to feature Iggwilv and/or Baba Yaga in some significant fashion.
That would be very interesting!

Also keeping in line with your conjecture, 2016's Curse of Strahd...
...had an appearance by an amnesiac Mordenkainen as the "Mad Mage of Mount Baratok", and then Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes came out in 2018, followed by 2019's Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus which features Mordenkainen at the Tower of Urm.

Stormonu

Legend
Considering Tasha, perhaps a reworking of Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, with the adventure expanding into the Demonomicon of Igglwilv - thus the Abyss?

Remove ads