• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is Retraining Powers Part of Core 4e?

Sir_Darien

First Post
With the "Tiers" revelation released today by WotC, we all got a look at the chart that shows when powers are acquired by characters. Now keeping in mind that this is an incomplete look at the total number of abilities a high level character has, it seems that a bad choice here or there could have adverse affects on a character. After all if a 3.5 spellcaster makes a poor decision about his spells, it is usually pretty easy to rectify over the course of the next few levels and he also has far more spells to fall back on than a 4e character will (apparently) have powers.

I was wondering if WotC has revealed anything about incorporating retraining mechanics, perhaps similar to those in 3.5's PHB2 into the 4e "Core." I would think that this or a similar system would be right at home in 4e.

bording

Explorer
Yes, retraining mechanics have been mentioned multiple times, including in the tiers article. It talks about replacing lower level powers with higher level ones, and in the feats section it mentioned "retrained feats."

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I imagine you're able to "retrain" Feats in the same way you can replace Powers as you level.

I houseruled this a long time ago for Feats, allowing players to tinker with Feats whenever they leveled. I am glad to see this make it into the core rules.

Lacyon

First Post
Sir_Darien said:
With the "Tiers" revelation released today by WotC, we all got a look at the chart that shows when powers are acquired by characters. Now keeping in mind that this is an incomplete look at the total number of abilities a high level character has, it seems that a bad choice here or there could have adverse affects on a character. After all if a 3.5 spellcaster makes a poor decision about his spells, it is usually pretty easy to rectify over the course of the next few levels and he also has far more spells to fall back on than a 4e character will (apparently) have powers.

I was wondering if WotC has revealed anything about incorporating retraining mechanics, perhaps similar to those in 3.5's PHB2 into the 4e "Core." I would think that this or a similar system would be right at home in 4e.

Yes

The Article said:
5. Select Feats. You generally don’t have to worry about the level at which you gained a particular feat, since retraining allows you to have the feats you want at any given level. Do watch out for paragon and epic feats, though. For example, a 14th-level character can’t have more than seven paragon feats (those gained at 11th, 12th, and 14th level, as well as up to four retrained feats).

The Article said:
6. Choose Powers. You know two at-will powers from your class; remember to increase damage if your level is 21st or higher. The Powers by Class Level table summarizes the number and levels of powers you have in the other categories. These totals are not cumulative. The table assumes that you replace your lowest-level powers with those at higher levels, but you can keep lower-level ones if you wish.

I like it as well. Some people will complain that it is not realistic to lose some power/feats etc and not be able to use them again. I don't: 17 years ago I was an expert in calculus, statistics and physics (studying for exams) today I remember less than 5% of it. 12 years ago I flew in Sea King helicopters, drop me in one now I would not be at ALL able to operate proficiently. I would require a complete training course, almost from scratch. 3 years ago I finished flying in Tornado fighters, I could probably do it now but only as wingman and not in a complex mission... I would need a month or three of flying and reading manuals to be anywhere near proficient.
That to me is losing old powers/feats etc and re-training (in IT:)); I could re-re-train in my old skills but it is still re-training. Some will say that you will be using those powers regularly in DnD combat, which is fair enough, but I think you are going to use them a lot less than the (higher levelled) more effective powers and your old ones will atrophy

Hmmm ... I take a craft feat, make some magic items, keep them, retrain in another craft feat, make some more (3E specific, but still ...).

Power swapping certainly makes sense , though, and it keep sthe number of abilities at hand reasonable. Anyone know if rituals are "utility" powers, or something else entirely?

DandD

First Post
No one knows for now, yet. Some speculate that the amount of rituals known isn't restricted to the utility power-chart. But that's just speculation.

Jhaelen

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Hmmm ... I take a craft feat, make some magic items, keep them, retrain in another craft feat, make some more (3E specific, but still ...).
Well, do you feel there is anything wrong about that? It strikes me as completely natural.

Remove ads