• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Speed Useful?

Dracorat

First Post
A person with a speed weapon in each hand (duel weilding, both with speed) gets two additional attacks.

A haste spell would give the same character one additional attack with the onhand weapon only.

For this reason, I find the enhancement to be quite useful.

Rkhet

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
Note that found weapons change the equation somewhat since the choice between keeping the +1 speed longsword and selling it is not the same as whether to spend 32,000 on a +1 speed or a +1 holy ghost touch longsword. Rather, it's to sell the sword for 16,000gp and cough up another 2000gp to have a +1 holy (or other +2 enhancement) longsword or to keep the +1 speed longsword. Even in that situation, the choice doesn't obviously resolve itself in favor of the speed enhancement, but it does look a lot better.

Don't forget the metagame. If you sell that Speed weapon for a lower-enchanted weapon, the DM will feel obliged to even out your wealth-by-level, eventually. Speed is worse than useless, because it carries the opportunity cost of crimping the wealth guidelines.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I would only take it in the absence of a party wizard or sorcerer, although I must admit I hadn't considered the dual-wielding benefit...

boolean

Explorer
Dracorat said:
A person with a speed weapon in each hand (duel weilding, both with speed) gets two additional attacks.

Are you sure about that?

(This benefit is not cumulative with similar effects, such as a haste spell.)

The speed property on weapon A could certainly be considered similar to the speed property on weapon B.

Dracorat

First Post
I don't think it works that way. It just means you don't get other attacks from other sources. If you read the other part of the speed writeup, it states clearly a weapon with the speed enchantment gets an extra attack.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Dracorat said:
I don't think it works that way. It just means you don't get other attacks from other sources. If you read the other part of the speed writeup, it states clearly a weapon with the speed enchantment gets an extra attack.
But the restriction is not specific. It's general. You can't combine haste with speed, for sure, and I see nothing that allows you to combine two speed weapons.

I think speed is not worth the huge cost.

Goblyn

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
But the restriction is not specific. It's general. You can't combine haste with speed, for sure, and I see nothing that allows you to combine two speed weapons.

I think speed is not worth the huge cost.

Use common sense here. Maybe the cost is huge because a character can use two speed weapons(or up to four, if a thri-kreen;)).

Aaron L

Hero
boolean said:
Are you sure about that?

The speed property on weapon A could certainly be considered similar to the speed property on weapon B.

I take it to mean that you get no extra attacks from similar sources with that weapon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads