• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E is stealth an action?

spartanah

Explorer
last session, we had an encounter and the monster left the hall to another room.
I tried stealting there and the DM said that attempting stealth is an action, otherwise it negates the rouge bonus action benefit.
I claimed that hiding is an action, but moving stealthy just slows the pace.
I know that DM has the final word, but I still want to know how is it by the rules.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Hmmm.. I hardly see the difference in your particular case. But "enter stealth" would be an action, but you can still take an action and then move. Seeing what is in the room when you enter is not an action...

So regardless, in this case you hide/sneak up to the room and then peek inside.

I think it would be quite reasonable to deny you an action against what might be in the other room immediately since your character won't know what they might possibly do until they see what is in there... Of course, assuming the creature doesn't see you enter even if you could technically argue for one.

Unless the issue is that you want to stealth run (i.e. use you action for additional movement), in which case I am not sure how I would handle it. Maybe allow you to move up to the doorway and then hide behind it and peek around the corner.

I mean, regardless I would have you end your turn at the doorway with view of what is on the other side with a stealth attempt against whatever is on the other side.

Nytmare

David Jose
By the rules on page 177 is says that Stealth covers hiding, sneaking past people, leaving a room without anyone noticing, and sneaking up on people. On page 192 it says that you can take a Hide action to attempt to hide and that you should look at the sidebar on page 177.

If I were the DM in those instances, I'd consider taking the action to move stealthily by sneaking up on, away from, or past someone to be separate from the action needed to move. In your specific scenario, I'd probably also give you disadvantage on sneaking and the monster advantage on spotting you unless there were a reason the monster wouldn't be expecting someone to come into the room.

spartanah

Explorer
my intenetion was to follow the monster sneaking. the monster went out the door and on my turn I followed it using stealth.
I figured it'll cost me 2/3 movement, as in the PHB rules for stealth which is part of the movement.
I saw stealth as a special movement as in PHB 182, which can be taken as part of the movement allowed in a turn

Laznabog

First Post
I have went fairly in depth on this in another forum with some people. According to the book, the only thing the Hide Action does for you is qualify you for the Unseen Attacker/Target rules; you use the rules in the box back by stealth to see if you succeed.

However, there is a Twitter post (the most ridiculous way on the internet I can think of to make official rulings) that says the Hide action is the only by the book way to mask your location......or words to that effect.

The book actually lists darkness and invisibility as ways to not let enemies know where you are, but I think Twitter is supposed to be the most official word in this edition?

The other forum is down for maintenance or I would link it.

Last edited:

spartanah

Explorer
I have went fairly in depth on this in another forum with some people. According to the book, the only thing the Hide Action does for you is qualify you for the Unseen Attacker/Target rules; you use the rules in the box back by stealth to see if you succeed.

However, there is a Twitter post (the most ridiculous way on the internet I can think of to make official rulings) that says the Hide action is the only way by the book way to mask your location......or words to that effect.

The book actually lists darkness and invisibility as ways to not let enemies know where you are, but I think Twitter is supposed to be the most official word in this edition?

The other forum is down for maintenance or I would link it.

hide indeed is the only way, but the monster already left the room and lost eye contact with me, and my intention wasn't to sneak on it, just to prevent being ambushed by someone else in the room

Laznabog

First Post
hide indeed is the only way, but the monster already left the room and lost eye contact with me, and my intention wasn't to sneak on it, just to prevent being ambushed by someone else in the room

Man I am with you entirely. I think it completely reasonable and I think the book backs you on it.

However, I had a couple people arguing with me that even if you are completely invisible, everyone knows exactly where you are because you are constantly making so much noise that everyone can pinpoint you within a couple feat without using their eyes until you take the Hide action.

Jeremy Crawford on Twitter seemed to back that ridiculous notion. This is most certainly not what the book says.

spartanah

Explorer
Man I am with you entirely. I think it completely reasonable and I think the book backs you on it.

However, I had a couple people arguing with me that even if you are completely invisible, everyone knows exactly where you are because you are constantly making so much noise that everyone can pinpoint you within a couple feat without using their eyes until you take the Hide action.

Jeremy Crawford on Twitter seemed to back that ridiculous notion. This is most certainly not what the book says.

I agree, it does demand a stealth check. the question is, can I make a stealth check, and move at 2/3 pace plus take the dash action.
or taking the stealth check consumes my action and my movement is limited to 30' or 20' if I also need to pay the stealyh movement

Since your DM has already given his ruling, is there any point in soliciting rulings from everyone else on Enworld? Are you trying to use us as ammunition in a war with your DM? That kind of thing never ends well.

Remove ads