Level Up (A5E) Is Sun Wukong a valid selection for the spell Polymorph?

Sepulchre

Explorer
Sun Wukong is a sweet unique NPC in Mythological Figures and Malevolent Monsters. He’s a very cool legendary figure from Chinese mythology. Also, being a monkey, he is classified as a beast.

Polymorph provides: “The target’s body is transformed into a beast with a Challenge Rating equal to or less than its own. If the target doesn’t have a Challenge Rating, use its level.”

Can Polymorph turn a level 12 player character or a CR 12 monster into Sun Wukong? A related question is whether beasts with the elite tag, such as the Dread Spider Champion, are valid selections.

(Answers appealing to DM fiat are correct—it’s the DM’s game—but unlikely to be helpful.)

Thanks!

barring houserules, i, uh...i...i don't see a reason why you couldn't.

also, i just realized sun wukong's AC is wrong - he wears the golden chain shirt, so it should be 14 (base) + 5 (Dexterity) + 1 (half Wisdom) = 20, not 19.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Agreed, I think he is miss-typed. Su should not be a beast. That type is supposed to be reserved for less intelligent mundane animals.
The mythological version of Sun Wukong was just a sage Monkey, so "awakened" beast is appropriate from the mythic perspective.

But it is a very generous interpretation of RAW and yeah, I’d rule awakened Unique leveled beasts dont count for polymorph (and like @steels12 I too would soundly beat anyone trying to pull this off)

either that or declare that Sun Wukong is the only member of the Vanara Heritage and not a Beast

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Umm... he was born out of a rock and had all kinds of magic powers, so I wouldn't say he was "just a sage monkey."

I'd probably make him a celestial.
Thats fair, he is A sentient monkey created by the Yin and Yang of the Universe itself - so awakened celestial monkey would be a fair ruling for a dm to make.
However he gained his magical powers by learning taoist tradition, not as inherent abilities from birth. Indeed his name is literally Sun (Monkey) Wukong (Awakened by Emptiness) - being his journey from ignorant animal to enlightened being.

In fact it makes perfect sense for me for Wukong to be a Heritage

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
The answer is: No.

Sun Wukong isn't "A Beast". Sun Wukong is a specific character. You could turn into a Sage Monkey -like- Sun Wukong, but his equipment, powers, etc wouldn't carry over because they're specific to him. Dude's basically a Monk/Rogue multiclass with some blessings and neat toys.

In the same way you can't True Polymorph yourself into Elminster and suddenly gain access to all of Elminster's equipment, spells, knowledge, etc.

You could turn into the awakened sage monkey that -looks- like Sun Wukong and get his base game stats (Str/Dex/Con, Bite, Unarmed Strike, Pack Tactics, plus his HP value...) but nothing else.

Remove ads