• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is sunder _this_ easy?

Derren

Hero
Anubis said:
I would think most enemies aren't too worries about random items adventurers are carrying. If someone was trying to kill you, would you be trying to cut apart their bag? Get real. Enemies would only ever try to sunder weapons and armor (if they have adamantine weapons at least) and shields and stuff of OBVIOUS IMMEDIATE danger. Not rods, bags, and quivers.

When the wizard uses the rod to shoot powerfull lightning bolts, the ranger draws arrow after arrow out of the seemingly empty quiver and the rogues takes his tenth throwing dagger out of a bag you can bet that one will sunder them.

apsuman

First Post
Anubis said:
I would think most enemies aren't too worries about random items adventurers are carrying. If someone was trying to kill you, would you be trying to cut apart their bag? Get real. Enemies would only ever try to sunder weapons and armor (if they have adamantine weapons at least) and shields and stuff of OBVIOUS IMMEDIATE danger. Not rods, bags, and quivers.

I disagree. Int 6 is just smart enought to know to sunder the "pek-sy hew-mon iron stick or fire stick or flying stick, me SMASH ALL!!"

Int 6 is along the lines of killing the goose to get the golden eggs. So I could easily see them sundering the bag that the "flying sticks" comes from.

Tyrol

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
Or better still, grapple them and not have them teleport away at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can teleport out of a grapple, as it only has a Verbal component (thus no Somatic component).

I remember teleporting out of many a grapple with my Sorcerer at least.

Thanee

First Post
Yep, you can do that, unless you are pinned and cannot speak. Then you would need a silent teleport or dimension door.

Bye
Thanee

Scion

First Post
If they are holding you in such a way as to prevent vocal then it prevents it, I believe you can do so with a successful grapple check (prevent V components).

Edit: If I hadnt been answering your other post thanee I could have beat you on this one.. I see your game now ;)

Last edited:

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Let's use a scenario.

We have a fighter/rogue who is dual-wielding. In his left hand is an adamantine dagger. In his right hand is a silver +1 wounding short sword.

If the giant were metagaming he would break the short sword. (It's more dangerous, plus it has lower hardness.)

I don't think there's any metagaming in this example at all. Knowing nothing of the properties of either weapon, I'd go for the short sword, too. It's bigger, so it's easier to hit. It's bigger, so it probably does more damage. It also appears to be my opponent's primary weapon, so losing it would put him at a greater disadvantage than losing his secondary weapon.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
apsuman said:
I disagree. Int 6 is just smart enought to know to sunder the "pek-sy hew-mon iron stick or fire stick or flying stick, me SMASH ALL!!"

Int 6 is along the lines of killing the goose to get the golden eggs. So I could easily see them sundering the bag that the "flying sticks" comes from.

And does that Int 6 NPC stop to track the archer's ammunition? Can he see inside that quiver? How many rounds does the giant need to survive to know that quiver is not just a normal quiver?

I can easily see a giant smashing items in hand. But this is blatant metagaming.

Eraslin

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
And does that Int 6 NPC stop to track the archer's ammunition? Can he see inside that quiver? How many rounds does the giant need to survive to know that quiver is not just a normal quiver?

I can easily see a giant smashing items in hand. But this is blatant metagaming.

I tend to agree. I'm inclined to think that an int 6 person would be much more likely to smash the bow followed by any obvious stowed weapons -- such as most any sheathed weapons. Once the bow's smashed, there's no reason to bother smashing the bag that the little sticks come from. Without knowing that the quiver is magical, even an int 18 opponent would smash the bow then any obvious sheathed weapons.

However, if the archer then drew something that was larger than the quiver from the quiver (such as another bow) both opponents would likely smash the new bow, and then the quiver.

Anything else is just metagaming, in my opinion.

-Eraslin

Last edited:

apsuman

First Post
The use of the word "blatant" implies many less than good things.

Ridley's Cohort said:
And does that Int 6 NPC stop to track the archer's ammunition?

With and INT of 6, I would assume that they can not count, heck they might not even have the idea of object permanence. To them *EVERY* quiver is magical.

Ridley's Cohort said:
Can he see inside that quiver?

Quite possibly. At 10 and one half feet tall it is entirely possible that he can see down into any open sack/bag/package/backpack/sheath on a character.

Ridley's Cohort said:
How many rounds does the giant need to survive to know that quiver is not just a normal quiver?

As above, he could very well think that all quivers are magical. Furthermore, if the giant wanted to capture a character he might just be sundering EVERYTHING.

Ridley's Cohort said:

And your is blatant ... nevermind.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I give the items the characters full AC + their size modifer. Trick maneuvers should be tougher to pull off than a basic beatdown. Even then items are way too easy to destory in one swing, the mechanics suck so hard I'm contemplating removing the maneuver from the game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads