• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Is the 2024 rules update a new edition? Argue about it here (not everywhere else)!

Is the 2024 rules update a new edition?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's not a New Edition.

It's more of a solo act.

On the one hand-
Everybody's talking all this stuff about D&D (now now)
Why don't they just let 5e live?
WOTC don't need permission, make their own decisions
That's, that's WOTC's prerogative

On the other hand-
5e is drivin' me out of my mind!
That's why it's hard for me to find
Can't get 5e out of my head!
Miss it, play it, love it
(Wrong move you're dead!)
One D&D is .... poison
Never trust new rules and species
One D&D is .... poison
giphy.gif

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
As much fun as it is having this question infect every other thread, how about we go crazy and centralize the conversation in one place?

So, in 2024, if you're using the new PHB, MM, DMG and whatever other books are released to support them, are you playing a different edition of Dungeons & Dragons than those using the 2014 core books?

Why or why not?
archer supervisor GIF

Yes.

Whether or not WotC calls it and edition, a revision, an update, or a smerp is just marketing. But from a completely functional standpoint, the purpose of naming an edition is communication. People (players, DMs, distributors, content creators, etc) need to be able to communicate clearly and succinctly what set of rules they are using.

When a new group is formed, someone has to ask the question "What game are we playing?" To that question, an answer of "D&D 5E" is different than "1D&D" or whatever you want to call it. Your answer communicates the baseline of how races, spells, classes, etc will work at your table. This also applies to writers: is this RPG book compatible with 5E, 1D&D, D20, OSRIC, 4E, or is it system independent? You will sell to different markets based on how you answer that question. It applies to how FLGS will organize their stock. Or even the simple case of a rando walking up to a table at a convention and asking about what the group is playing. Obviously, further communication will grant more information; optional books can be added or removed, houserules can be modified. But naming the edition is the foundation that the conversation is based on, just as much as naming the game itself (e.g. D&D vs. Castles and Crusades, or Call of Cthulhu, etc).

Eventually, the community will come to a consensus of what to call 1D&D to differentiate it from base 5E, and what comes next. WotC can say that's not an "edition", but functionally that's what it will be.

Last edited:

When a new group is formed, someone has to ask the question "What game are we playing?" To that question, an answer of "D&D 5E" is different than "1D&D" or whatever you want to call it. Your answer communicates the baseline of how races, spells, classes, etc will work at your table. This also applies to writers: is this RPG book compatible with 5E, 1D&D, D20, OSRIC, 4E, or is it system independent?
I agree that for retailers it will be a different edition - but the question is whether we, the players, will need to specify. Or whether by default we can and will allow a clear mix at the table and will only need to specify 5e.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads