• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is the book "Moar Monsters know what they're doing" compatible with MPMM statblocks?

Alby87

Adventurer
Hi all, title says all: I've enjoyed reading the first book in the series (Monsters know), I'm interestend in getting the second one (Moar), but I don't know if the book is updated with the new Mordenkainen's book. In those kind of book there are a lot of strategies about using the spells each monster have, but if the stablocks are different, I fear some of the book will not be completely utilizable.

Is the book already written with the new statblocks, has been updated or is still usable with all the monster with easy adataptions?

Thanks all :)

pukunui

Legend
I'm pretty sure Keith Ammann's book came out before MotM, so I highly doubt it will be compatible in the way you're meaning, @Alby87. Keith will either have to do an update or write a whole new book.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
@Leatherhead is doing a wonderful "Let's Read" thread about Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse (D&D 5E - Let’s Read Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse. ). Leatherhead is detailing each creature and the changes to their stat blocks. Choker was earlier today, so if you are planning on Yugoloths, you might have a bit of a wait. A few stat blocks so far have minimal or no changes from their original appearances, so might be still valid in the book you are looking at.

Alby87

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure Keith Ammann's book came out before MotM, so I highly doubt it will be compatible in the way you're meaning, @Alby87. Keith will either have to do an update or write a whole new book.
New MotM book was published around the same time as MOAR, I know that (except in the case Wizards gave the author of MOAR some previews, but I don't think it would have been the case) the book is based on MtoF and VGM. But the author don't acknoweldge this book in his website

@Leatherhead is doing a wonderful "Let's Read" thread about Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse (D&D 5E - Let’s Read Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse. ). Leatherhead is detailing each creature and the changes to their stat blocks. Choker was earlier today, so if you are planning on Yugoloths, you might have a bit of a wait. A few stat blocks so far have minimal or no changes from their original appearances, so might be still valid in the book you are looking at.

I know that thread (I'm the one who bought the Wild beyond the Witchlight design pack to attention in that thread), and it was it that let me asking the question about MOAR. The original "Monsters know" help really a lot a kinda new DM like me to use the monsters in the original MM a lot better without having to think every single spell combination (I know this is one of the pleasures of DMing, but, for me, this is prepping time I prefer to use in other steps), and I was really interested in MOAR. But the Let's Read topic shows me that strategies based on attack spells are not compatible (we know that utilities spells are still present), so this is why I opened this topic. Long story short: I love the strategies of Monseter Knows, but I also think I will love the new streamlined blocks, now I'm really confused 😅

Remove ads