• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the economic crisis affecting your gaming purchasing?

Is the economic crisis affecting your gaming spending?

• Yes, severly.

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Yes, moderately.

Votes: 32 15.1%
  • Yes, slightly.

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 121 57.1%

Drkfathr1

First Post
Hasn't changed my habits at all. I can't touch my 401K for 27 more years anyways, and I have good credit, few bills, and a nice house (that I can afford).

I've cut back on purchases in the last few years anyways, simply because I never have the opportunity to use most splat books. I just spend that money on other things, or save it.

I've cut back on purchases in the last few years anyways, simply because I never have the opportunity to use most splat books. I just spend that money on other things, or save it.
Well, that too. I never migrated to 4e, and I'm feeling a bit saturated on product anyway. I was already not buying much gaming stuff a long time before the economic crisis started anyway.

Voadam

Legend
Nah, my gaming budget was small to begin with. I've increased it this year taking advantage of a lot of good pdf sales. I even splurged recently on the Green Ronin sale and ordered some physical books, something I have not done for years.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
By not switching to 4E, I estimate I save $100-150/month.

It's been awesome!!!!

(Being a completist can be expensive. I'm free! :) )

WereSteve

First Post
No real effect here ... my overall purchasing has slowed down over the past year with 3.5e winding down and 4e ramping up. The last round of purchases was to fill in some gaps in my Kingdoms of Kalamar collection and after the first of the year I plan on double checking my 1e modules to see where I need to fill in some gaps. Beyond that ... no real plans for any more additions to my collection.

diaglo

Adventurer
So, I am curious if the economic crisis is affecting the way you are spending your gaming money. Please share how it is affecting your gaming hobby and what you are (or are not) purchasing.

nope. the economic crisis has had no effect on my purchases of gaming supplies.

i haven't bought any since WotC pulled the license for Dragon magazine

Halivar

First Post
Nope. The economic crisis is something I hear about on the news. It happens "out there" to "other people." Same with everyone I know personally. It helps that I live in a region with some of the lowest gas prices in the nation. Now, my 401k has taken a beating, but I don't have to worry about that for several decades.

IOW: WotC's got my gaming $$$ for the foreseeable future.

Gallo22

First Post
Since I don't play 4th Edition, it's been easy not to purchase a ton of new books. I do find myself looking at other systems. I just purchase Ars Magica 5th edition to give it a go. But I don't plan on purchasing a lot of books for it until the basic rules are played out and enjoyed.

In addition, I find myself reaching to the shelf for other rpgs I have that have not touched in awhile, i.e. WFRP, C&C, Tribe 8, Star Frontier (free on the web with tons of extras), Gamma World, etc.

Simplicity

Explorer
Haven't purchased any minatures in a very long time now just because that was getting expensive...

But the potentials of the economic crisis have made me rethink the way I purchase D&D books. I used to grab them on release day. Now, I order everything through Amazon (saving about $10 per book) and bundle purchases to get the free shipping. Books come later, but I save quite a bit this way.

FRPG + Adventurer's Vault + King of the Trollhaunt Warrens = $59. That's not a bad deal. If I'd gone with Bill Me Later, I could have gotten it for $49, but I'm guessing that would mean they essentially open a credit card for me that I just don't get to hold.

I feel bad for my FLGS, because I love them. But if I find myself eating my shoes in the future dystopia because I paid 50% more for RPG books, I'd be very mad at myself.

Shades of Green

First Post
Nope. The American peso dollar makes it cheap enough to purchase stuff.
True for me as well - after years when anything in US$ was expensive, suddenly everything was cheap and I went on a Traveller shopping spree.

Of course, having Mongoose Traveller come out at the same occasion was also a great thing! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads