Is the Everquest RPG now d20 compatible?

dcollins

Explorer
johnsemlak said:
In otherwords, is Everquest RPG a d20 product?

Technically, no.

The Everquest RPG (to my knowledge) does not carry the d20 Sysatem mark or license. It is compatible in the sense that it's based on the same open-content SRD as the d20 System, so you could personally use them together. But Everquest is definitely not, officially, a d20 System product.

Aloïsius

First Post
Re: Re: Is the Everquest RPG now d20 compatible?

dcollins said:

The Everquest RPG (to my knowledge) does not carry the d20 System mark or license. It is compatible in the sense that it's based on the same open-content SRD as the d20 System, so you could personally use them together. But Everquest is definitely not, officially, a d20 System product.

That's why I said above it's a game that use the d20 system, but not the d20 license.

When someone say "this is a d20 game", he usually says two things: first, that the game use the d20 system, then, that the game is under the d20 license.

But, since Everquest, we see games that are d20 from a game mechanic perspective (use the d20 system) and not from a legal perspective (don't use the d20 license).

Note that it is also possible to publish things under the d20 license that are not really d20 system. Just make a dual-statted book (like those for Rokugan or Deadland) with far more place devoted to the "native" system than to the d20 one. That would be a bit hypocritical, but it's possible. (I'm not saying the dual-statted supplement for L5R or Deadlands are done this way, by the way, as far as I know they are fair with the d20 system.)

dcollins

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Is the Everquest RPG now d20 compatible?

Aloïsius said:
But, since Everquest, we see games that are d20 from a game mechanic perspective (use the d20 system) and not from a legal perspective (don't use the d20 license).

Yes, which is why I'm forced to answer the original poster with "technically, no".

The Everquest RPG is prohibited from even using the phrase "d20 System" inside one of its books. Even if it's "compatible", it is technically not a "d20 System product", as the original poster asked.

Remove ads