• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the GW Box better than the Red Box?

Grimgrin

First Post
It seems to me that the Gamma World Box is a better investment than the Red D&D starter box for first time players.

First, the rules are even simpler than the red box/essentials rule set and it doesn't require any character/feat optimization.

Second, you can use it for many more xp levels.

Third, It has a tons more variety in Character Generation and more monsters.

Forth, even though your character is not core D&D the same is true (in certain ways) for the Red Box.

Fifth, it comes with treasure cards and power cards.

Sixth, its open design allows for more rpg themes. Apocalyptic of course, but also superhero, fantasy, modern, sci-fi, and steampunk are easily possible.

Negatives: No Dice. Maps and some monsters are sci-fi.

Last edited:

ourchair

First Post
I agree.

In addition, I think the 'open' nature of the game's narrative helps as well.

A product where you're not under any pressure to make the game fit into some canon or establish a serious tone or demand too much player-character immersion -- instead making those things you can develop later -- is a much easier sell to newbie players.

Gamma World is a complete product with a more embracing attitude. It's not to say that Essentials as a product line or as the Red Box ISN'T, but when the game says, "Yes, you can be an android cockroach and your melee weapon can be a broom if you really want it to be," then players feel less expected to live up to misperceived expectations in role-playing.

The Little Raven

First Post
No.

Gamma World is twice the cost, lacks a fundamental tool for beginning play immediately (dice), and requires you to read it before playing.

The Red Box is cheap, comes with everything you need to open the box and begin playing, and its character creation process eases you into the concept of playing the game by presenting your choices in a choose-your-own-adventure format which loosely replicates the basic roleplaying aspect of the game. So, you are playing as you make your character.

It's compatibility with the rest of Essentials aside, that's the best way for a rank newb to see if they really do want to play D&D without substantial cost.

Dungeoneer

First Post
I'm running a GW "one-shot"* with some of my regular players plus one new guy who hasn't played D&D since 2e. It's been wacky fun and the new guy has picked it right up. The 'freedom to roleplay' thing is, IMHO, huge. Everyone has bizarre characters (android rat-swarm and empathic pyro are just two examples) and it's been a blast seeing the players bring them to life.

I did have to pretty much read the GW book cover to cover, but none of my players have (good thing, since we only have one copy**). And there's always someone with extra dice (usually me, grrr).

I feel like you'd def. want a GM with previous 4e experience to run your GW game, simply because the ultra-condensed version of the 4e rules found in the manual might be tough to follow. But the players could well have never rolled a 20-sided die in their life, and they'd still have fun.

*irony quotes because it's turned into a three-session game
**it would actually be great to see a Player's Kit for GW - maybe include an abridged manual and a pack of alpha and gamma cards? That would help with character creation.

MrMyth

First Post
While the Little Raven's points are valid ones, the second I read the Gamma World rulebook, I said to myself, "This is what the Red Box should have been."

It lays out the core rules of 4E in a clear and elegant fashion. The method for rolling up characters is simple and easy. That's really what you need right there.

I think the ultimate answer would have been something that included elements of both. Sure, keep the story-driven character creation option, but also include the ability to quickly create characters without going through those hoops. Etc.

Gamma World manages to provide the clearest and easiest introduction to the 4E rule system, while also providing a full playing system to level 10. You could easily have had a similar offering in the Red Box, but they opted instead for something that would only cover the first level or two and provide less of a grounding in the full rules. And I can understand their reasons why, certainly - but I think I would have been more impressed with a more robust product overall.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads