• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D Is the OD&D Rules Cyclopedia worth it?

pawsplay

Hero
A copy with good corners, that has not had too much fade, is worth $50. From what I've seen, the paper used did not turn out to be great for longevity. I personally got a PDF before the Great PDF Purge, so I am lucky in that way. One option to consider is that you could probably assemble an actual BECM kit for about $7 per book if you are not picky about condition.

Odhanan

Adventurer
I don't know if anyone pointed this out, yet, but the title may be confusing to some grognards. The acronym OD&D usually refers to the original game of 1974. This is not the same game as the Mentzer boxed sets (aka BECMI D&D, with the Basic, Expert, Companion, Master and Immortal rules sets) which were compiled in the D&D Rules Cyclopedia.

So when someone writes "OD&D Rules Cyclopedia", this is kind of confusing to guys like me who spend their time their nose buried deep between the covers of pre-2nd ed versions of the game. :)

Now, if you want relatively simple rules to play with your 6-year-old son, I would advise you to check out the free PDF of the Swords & Wizardry game (which is a retro-clone of the original rules of 1974). Pretty much the simplest iteration of the old-school game you can get. And it's actually awesome.

Verdande

First Post
I don't know if anyone pointed this out, yet, but the title may be confusing to some grognards. The acronym OD&D usually refers to the original game of 1974. This is not the same game as the Mentzer boxed sets (aka BECMI D&D, with the Basic, Expert, Companion, Master and Immortal rules sets) which were compiled in the D&D Rules Cyclopedia.

Which are the games, I believe, that Labyrinth Lord was trying to evoke the feel of and emulate. For what it's worth, I like Swords and Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, and the Rules Cyclopedia about equally, with my advice going straight to the RC if you've got it. If not, you can start with Swords and Wizardry or Labyrinth Lord and add the more complex, "advanced" rules like the Spheres and Mass Combat and Weapon Specialization and whatnot.

Remove ads