• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the RPG hobby dying? [RPG Blog Carnival]

MadBrewLabs

Explorer
Growing the Hobby RPG Carnival Wrap-up

It might interest everyone who commented on this thread that I've written an article with my observations of growing the industry/hobby along with a list of participating blogs that also weighed in the on the matter.

Growing the Hobby Wrap-Up

JoeGKushner

First Post
The industry may be suffering but the hobby doesn't seem to be. Are you counted as part of the hobby if you're like B/X Blackrazor and joethelaywer heaping scorn upon WoTC but enjoying the older games and still playing and getting other people to play? Certainly.

the hobby != the industry

and note I say the industry may be suffering because with the use of computers, we have dozens if not hundreds of publishers that would not have existed twenty years ago like 0one Games and others like Fiery Dragon whose counters would be much diminished iwthout outline selling.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I swear, this hobby has "died" more times than a Time Lord. Fortunately, the article is more about growing the hobby, which is not a bad thing to me - I know quite a few people who I think might like the hobby if they gaveit a chance, but they just don't see the benefit in putting much time into their off-time, due to other hobbies, family, or job. It's hard to convince someone that role-playing is a cool activity if they're not willing to give it more than 30 minutes to an hour.

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
The industry may be suffering but the hobby doesn't seem to be. Are you counted as part of the hobby if you're like B/X Blackrazor and joethelaywer heaping scorn upon WoTC but enjoying the older games and still playing and getting other people to play? Certainly.

Thanks for the acknowledgment. Regardless of how I feel about WOTC and certain boards I rarely post on anymore, I do love the hobby and want to see it grow. I do what I can, and run older games at events wherever I can. In fact, I got 2 more players into it over the past 2 weeks---my 5 and 6 yr old nephews. We're having a blast! :)

JoeGKushner

First Post
I swear, this hobby has "died" more times than a Time Lord. Fortunately, the article is more about growing the hobby, which is not a bad thing to me - I know quite a few people who I think might like the hobby if they gaveit a chance, but they just don't see the benefit in putting much time into their off-time, due to other hobbies, family, or job. It's hard to convince someone that role-playing is a cool activity if they're not willing to give it more than 30 minutes to an hour.

And... the dreaded And, can schedule it with four other people.

Remove ads