• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the Spell Addict from "Plot & Poison" too powerful?

Sernett

First Post
drnuncheon said:
Think about that. When he uses a 7th level spell, it's almost like every target has SR 22. He's going to lose almost half of his 7th level spells. Or he can take 7 points of damage - but on average he's only got 60 hp, so he can't afford to keep that up for long. His Reflex save is a miserable +2, his Fort save is not much better, and he's even going to have trouble resisting enchantments and other Will-based effects.

J [/B]

That's pretty much what my thinking was when I designed it. I wrote the prestige class with the intention of towing the line, and considering how much interest it sparks among reviewers and readers, I think it does that pretty well. The egg with hammers analogy is very accurate.

However, the post about not allowing a PC to make a Concentration-skill-boosting item is right on the money. Skill-boosting items are stupendously cheap, and the text that mentions that the spell addict can't take 10 or use Combat Casting with it should also mention that magic that provides a bonus to Concentration checks does not apply.

Essentially, it should limit the modifiers that apply to the Concentration check to skill ranks, Constitution bonus, and Skill Focus (Concentration). You might allow other feats that provide a Concentration bonus to apply, but there are probably dozens out there in d20 products, and the prestige class can't account for rules not from P&P or the core rulebooks.

The high Constitution character is certainly better off in this class than other characters, but when is having a character with a super-high Constitution not greatly to a PC's benefit? I think you'll find that the spell addict that spends a great deal of funds ramping up his Constitution to make spellcasting easier and increase his hit points will be losing a lot of potential power in other areas. A monster character with a high Constitution could be dangerous, but again P&P can only account for its rules and those in the core rulebooks–not Savage Species and so on.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I like the class idea, but I'll add my concerns to the pile.

It'd be interesting to make the class have a prerequisite of a maximum Con of 11. As per normal prerequisites, if the PCs constitution rose above 11, class features would no longer work. It smacks of poor design... but I can see that the PC is only addicted to spellcasting as a compensation for poor health.

Sernett, is there any kind of a precedent for prohibiting the use of concentration-improving items? I don't think there is, and using that prohibition seems somewhat (and you'll pardon me here, I hope) "2nd edition." There's no reason for it other than to balance the class, and it contradicts traditional game rules. I'm not sure I like that idea.

Any thoughts, O designer? :)

Last edited:

Sernett

First Post
Piratecat said:
I like the class idea, but I'll add my concerns to the pile.

Sernett, is there any kind of a precedent for prohibiting the use of concentration-improving items? I don't think there is, and using that prohibition seems somewhat (and you'll pardon me here, I hope) "2nd edition." There's no reason for it other than to balance the class, and it contradicts traditional game rules. I'm not sure I like that idea.

Any thoughts, O designer? :)

No precedent necessary, just flavor text.

For instance:

"When making this Concentration check, a spell addict cannot apply any skill bonus to Concentration checks due to possession of a magic item; the spell addict's direct connection to raw magic prevents more tame dweomers from aiding in controlling wild spellcasting."

Writing new rules is all about deciding how to apply existing rules. For instance, it would be perfectly reasonable to invent a trample ability that does not allow a PC to choose to make an attack of opportunity, or one that allows the PC to avoid damage altogether with a successful Reflex save. You would want to call that ability something other than trample, but you don't need a precedent to excise or change the rules of the normal ability.

Numion

First Post
Nice concept, but IMHO faulty execution. Too much of the classes weaknesses can be overcome by high constitution - and constitution is very useful even by itself.

I know plenty of characters who would jump at the chance to spend a point of hp, a skill point and one will save on an extra caster level. But then again I play with a bunch of goddamn powergamers.

Was Plot & Poison the cheesy Drow book, that had for example the retributive strike? .. no, just checked, that was thew complete book of drow .

Something about the drow brings the cheesiness out, it seems.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Numion said:
I know plenty of characters who would jump at the chance to spend a point of hp, a skill point and one will save on an extra caster level.

A hit point, a skill point, a will save, and two feats, because most powergamers aren't going to be putting their feats into Skill Focus: Spellcraft and Knowledge: Arcana. ;)

Oh, and the possibility of all your spells going awry (not just the ones from this class).

BTW, very cool that the designer is weighing in - Hi Matt! I'll tell you if my players curse your name as well as Monte Cook's as they head through Queen of Lies. (We start tomorrow...)

J

fett527

First Post
I second the part about how cool it is to have the designer weigh in. This is why I love this site!

Also cool to have Piratecat and Psion give their opinons as well.

Numion

First Post
drnuncheon said:

A hit point, a skill point, a will save, and two feats, because most powergamers aren't going to be putting their feats into Skill Focus: Spellcraft and Knowledge: Arcana. ;)

So in the course of the whole PrC it boils down to that you get three caster levels for that bunch of stuff.. but then again great many people see nothing wrong with the archmages Spell Power +6 ability, so no point arguing, eh? :rolleyes:

I have a player who will be taking the class soon. He is a sorcerer with a 16 Con. I don't find the character overpowerful for several reasons.

1. He learned of the PrC through ancient tomes he found. Those will fade at his first level of the class so no one else will be able to take it.

2. At least half of all of my challenges in game are non-combat related. His lack of feats and skills will really hurt him.

3. Stat and skill increasing items are very rare in my campaign. Finding them is very difficult.

Will there be a problem in the long run? Maybe, maybe not. He is a sorcerer not a wizard so he has few feats so the requirement really hurts him. I also know the players style. He charges into combat way too often. The lack of feats and hitpoints will restrain him.

Psion

Adventurer
Numion said:
So in the course of the whole PrC it boils down to that you get three caster levels for that bunch of stuff.. but then again great many people see nothing wrong with the archmages Spell Power +6 ability, so no point arguing, eh? :rolleyes:

N.B. That I have long had issues with the archmage's spellpower as well. So no inconsistancy on my part, at least. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads