• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the undetectable Alignment Spell Overpowered?

Belzbet

First Post
I was looking at the spell "Undetectable Alignment" and it says that it shields your alignment from ALL divination spells. What spells thwart detect alignment? Also, do you guys think this is an overpowered spell for its level (level 1 for a bard)? It seems to be very effective at shielding your alignment.

Sekhmet

First Post
Shielding your alignment isn't exactly an overpowered concept in general. Very few people can magically detect an alignment, anyway, and all of those detection spells/abilities are similarly low level.

Belzbet

First Post
Shielding your alignment isn't exactly an overpowered concept in general. Very few people can magically detect an alignment, anyway, and all of those detection spells/abilities are similarly low level.

yeah I can see that. but the spell says ALL forms of divination. So, even the lowliest EVIL bard can sneak into a fortress on Celestia disguised as a Good person (namely if they ACT good people will think they are good; although it is pretty shady if someone cant detect your alignment). The person would have to dispel the effect (through dispelling and or antimagic, etc.) to know any better and without that prompting then no divination can see through this lowly spell. A fortress on Celestia worth mentioning would probably have these measures set, but it makes divination spells worthless for detecting alignment. I would think that a higher level spell should be able to thwart Undetectable alignment. Also it makes detect evil spells useless. A paladin no longer is sure if they are around evil. But, I can see how thats not too overpowered...

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Gotcha, more like a higher level caster should get some sort of save to pierce it or something. A Level 9 Divination vs. a level 1 blocking spell seems unfair sort of thing?

Dandu

First Post
yeah I can see that. but the spell says ALL forms of divination. So, even the lowliest EVIL bard can sneak into a fortress on Celestia disguised as a Good person (namely if they ACT good people will think they are good; although it is pretty shady if someone cant detect your alignment).
And what are they going to do there, rearrange the tapestries?

Drowbane

First Post
No.

Look at the alternative? Lowly evil bard straight up *can't* sneak into Fort Celestia to rearrange its tapestries. Then again, Fort Celestia is probably covered by a Forbiddance (vs Evil) in every possible 5ft square... and Mr Evil Bard would just explode upon contact anyways...

Dandu

First Post
Even if he didn't explode, he'd fail to pass his bluff check to overcome the Sense Motive of the CSA (Celestia Security Administration) Border Patrol.

Empath Negative

First Post
The question then being just how undetectable is your alignment. Can a protection from evil spell determine you are evil if it cannot determine your alignment?

xigbar

Explorer
The question then being just how undetectable is your alignment. Can a protection from evil spell determine you are evil if it cannot determine your alignment?

Nope. Abjuration would go right through, though people would have to be aware that it's protection from evil. The bard could bluff and say it was protection from good. Though a measily spellcraft could get around that...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads