• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a complete NPC generator?

dunbruha

First Post
Hi-
I have been lurking for a while, and now at last I have a question. Is there a program that will generate a _complete_ NPC? I know about Jamis Buck’s NPC generator (very nice), but it doesn’t generate and equip items, and it doesn’t generate a list of memorized spells for casters (although it does create a list of known spells for wizards). I currently use Buck’s NPC generator to get the basic stat block, then import it into DM Genie to manually equip with armor, weapons, and misc magic items. Then I export the updated info to a character sheet, and choose a list of memorized spells.

Now, obviously I can do all this manually, or I could build up a character using the various character generator programs, but I would like to have a program that would do it all at once (yes, I’m lazy). My dream would be a program that generates a randomly-generated NPC with randomly-generated (but class-specific) armor, weapons, and magic items, and randomly-generated (but class- and domain-specific) lists of memorized spells and known spells. Does anyone know of such a thing? Or is this too much to hope for?

Oryan77

Adventurer
eTools does this. You can just select a lvl, the race, the class, and the alignment, and then it creates everything for you. Has a stat block to tell you what spells he knows and what is prepared.

dunbruha

First Post
Oryan77 said:
eTools does this. You can just select a lvl, the race, the class, and the alignment, and then it creates everything for you. Has a stat block to tell you what spells he knows and what is prepared.

Really? I have been kind of leery of eTools, since it came out with such poor reviews. Does it give you the option of randomly generating armor, weapons, and items?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Generation in etools isn't truly random as far as I know -- it starts with the DMG NPC tables and just pulls in different races. Someone'll have to correct me if I'm wrong here (if something has changed in the 1.5 patch, for example).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads