• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a DM tool for organizing my thoughts?

mysticknight232

First Post
I'm looking to create a one-shot campaign for my friends to try out DM'ing. I've got a hook and an idea for a 4 or 5 encounter adventure. I just need to flesh it out. What I'm looking for is some sort of template to help me organize my thoughts. Has anybody created a spreadsheet, or is there a website out there that will help me with this? I like to type out conversations and skill challenges so I have everything in writing for easy reference. But when I just use a normal word.doc, I sometimes lose my place. Not to mention, I want to be flexible with my adventure in case they take a different path than I had intended.

So, just wondering if there are any DM tools out there to help me write down my own thoughts for an adventure.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Scribble

First Post
I'm looking to create a one-shot campaign for my friends to try out DM'ing. I've got a hook and an idea for a 4 or 5 encounter adventure. I just need to flesh it out. What I'm looking for is some sort of template to help me organize my thoughts. Has anybody created a spreadsheet, or is there a website out there that will help me with this? I like to type out conversations and skill challenges so I have everything in writing for easy reference. But when I just use a normal word.doc, I sometimes lose my place. Not to mention, I want to be flexible with my adventure in case they take a different path than I had intended.

So, just wondering if there are any DM tools out there to help me write down my own thoughts for an adventure.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Look into mind mapping software... Not exactly what you want I think, but it's in my opinion really useful for organizing a bunch of jumbled ideas in your brizane.

Ferghis

First Post
Masterplan boasts features like this. It's got learning curve/usability issues, but might be what you're looking for.

I second this. Masterplan includes notes, tactical mapmaking, encounter building, hazards, skill challenge building, treasure parcels, and everything else I can think of.

As a bonus, it can track paused encounters between sessions if you upload the character sheets to iplay4e.

Smoke Jaguar

First Post
This isn't tech savvy, works for me though. I carry a notebook and pen around with me all the time. I have a section blocked off for writing ideas and encounters down. I print & paste in stat blocks and ideas that I come across. When I am bored in a meeting my mind wanders to various ideas (no always D&D) but I write them down. Everybody in the meeting thinks that I am a real "go getter" taking notes but I am far from it. I draw maps of towns, dungeons, forests, and what ever comes to mind. I create encounters and outline skill challenges.

It is slightly better than a word doc for me. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for though.

sev

First Post
I third the recommendation for Masterplan. Amazing tool for adventure-building.

For nonlinear "big plot" stuff that doesn't have any actual game mechanics attached, I use IHMC's CMap software. I plot in circles, and so ordinary mindmapping tools don't work so well for me.

What you want is Microsoft OneNote. It comes in Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, 2010, and the free Office WebApps you get from having a Hotmail account -- although that last version is stripped down and not nearly as handy as the real thing.

OneNote is the superior DM organizing tool, because of the simplicity with which you can link and search notes. (Looking to see when was the last time the PCs heard some NPC mention "Villainius"? Just search for his name and find everytime he's appeared in your notes. Wanna know what he was up to each time? Click on his name to hyperlink to different encounters.)

Masterplan is another great tool; its strength is in how it helps lay out tactical encounters. It can do what OneNote does, but not as easily or as well. Personally, I recommend using OneNote for everything but encounters and combat -- use Masterplan for that stuff, and use OneNote to organize them all.

I downloaded Master Plan but I have to admit that I am a little confused by it. I guess I will have to play with it more.
IIRC, there's some youtube tutorials floating around. Truth be told, it's a pretty simple tool to use (compared to many others) once you've got a handle on a few things.

Remove ads