• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a good prestige class for a warpriest? Help me build my new char plz!

Guilberwood

First Post
Hi guys,

My goal is to create a war priest. Obviously he’s gonna follow the homebrew God of war (war and Str domains) and use his spells do boost himself for melee combat.

However, the main job of this cleric (both a party necessity and a personal preference) is that he uses spells like mass enlarge person or mass bull’s strength and other like these to give bonus to everyone in the fight.

So, is there a good prestige for this warpriest? I’ve looked at the warpriest presented in Complete Divine and I didn’t like it at all.

I’m actually looking for something that would give abilities like inspire courage (I’m really considering a bard level) , and other party bonuses. Progressing spell level is not required but definitively a plus!

Did I make myself clear? Can you guys help me?

Oh, by the way, he’s human, 12 level, and his stats sucks (17 14 14 14 13 13 – plus the level bonuses)

As reference, I’m looking for something similar to priest Hobb from the Record of Lodoss War, only a little more combative than him.

Thanks in advance

Guilberwood

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Guilberwood said:
Hi guys,

My goal is to create a war priest. Obviously he’s gonna follow the homebrew God of war (war and Str domains) and use his spells do boost himself for melee combat.

However, the main job of this cleric (both a party necessity and a personal preference) is that he uses spells like mass enlarge person or mass bull’s strength and other like these to give bonus to everyone in the fight.

So, is there a good prestige for this warpriest? I’ve looked at the warpriest presented in Complete Divine and I didn’t like it at all.

I rather like the warpriest. You keep getting better at undead turning (rare for a prestige class), you effectively never have to worry about fear again (reducing reliance upon heroes' feast), you get a fighter's bab and hp, you get a bunch of spell-like abilities (better than spells) that keep your allies buffed and healed, you get a fear aura (how cool is that!), and you can haste the party, traditionally the role of the wizard (and no, righteous wrath of the faithful is not just as good because it is higher level, doesn't grant bonus ranged attacks or speed and doesn't give you bonuses to hit, AC, or reflex saves). Now it isn't the radiant servant of cheese, but it is a very good class.

Guilberwood said:
I’m actually looking for something that would give abilities like inspire courage (I’m really considering a bard level) , and other party bonuses. Progressing spell level is not required but definitively a plus!

Have you considered war chanter? It doesn't really give you spell progression, but it would fit the flavor you seem to be desiring.

Guilberwood said:
Oh, by the way, he’s human, 12 level, and his stats sucks (17 14 14 14 13 13 – plus the level bonuses)

Dude! What campaign are you playing where 17, 14, 14, 14, 13, 13 sucks and can I join???!?!?

Guilberwood said:
As reference, I’m looking for something similar to priest Hobb from the Record of Lodoss War, only a little more combative than him.

So in other words you just want to be a supreme badass. Well, since it seems like you are playing a high-powered campaign (which is apparent from your dismay at incredibly high stats), I recommend a bead of karma, divine spell power, and holy word so that you can kill pretty much anything that isn't good aligned (if it is, why are you fighting it? unless you are evil in which case same story just with blasphemy). Keeping death knell prepped along with an orange prism ioun stone helps as well. Also, if you can squeeze in divine metamagic (chain spell) and a heirophant level (for reach spells) somewhere down the line so you can cast what is for an intents and purposes mass heal on your party several levels earlier than intended, that would be good. With all that cheese, the only prestige class you really need in one level of heirophant.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
airwalkrr said:
I rather like the warpriest.
Yeah, I've played one, and was a pretty good warpriest-type character. Then again, with spell selection, a Cleric can be almost like a warpriest anyway.
airwalkrr said:
Also, if you can squeeze in divine metamagic (chain spell) and a heirophant level (for reach spells)
Or, divine metamagic (reach spell), if you have the two feats to spare.

Dracandross

First Post

Ouch, that really BLOWS. My char has now Str 11 Con 10 Dex 11 Wis 11 Int 15 and Cha 11 lvl 7 wizard. And is on the better side of the party statwise. (most have at least once crucial stat on range 7-9, and only one caster has casting stat over 15.
Stats are not good or bad unless compared to others. And I like that everyone is not some superhero, but have to push hard to get it work. Though it really sucks that Im forced to take con as next lvl improvent to get more hps (DM lets us get +2 if we get lowest stat raised)

But for warpriest above messages were good.

-Dracandross

mikebr99

Explorer
A straight Cleric with a good memorized list does all that... without loosing caster levels.

The Cleric has lots of spell options for buffing himself and othere for combat:
energy immunities
righteous might
freedom of movement
righteous wrath of the faithful
revivify
stalwart pact
recitation
magic vestments
shield of warding
battlemagic perception
ability buffs
divine favour
bless
shield of faith
entropic shield

Feats to consider: extend spell, persistent spell, divine meta (persistent), extra turning
But... divine metamagic may be off limits at your table.

Mike

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads