Level Up (A5E) Is there a limit to the # of pearls of power I can carry?

Mark Essel

Villager
Context:
We're playing a fairly high level game (level 11) with a fixed starting gold budget.
I started by spending 1800gp on 6 pearls of power, and have expanded that to 3600gp and 12 pearls of power.

They appear to be more useful than wands of lightning etc since they aren't attunement and are cheaper per spell, as well as fully recharging each day.

Nice catch!
The wand of lightning bolts costs 5k, requires attunement, and gives 7 charges per day, for 715gp per 3rd level slot
The pearls of power cost 300gp each and gives 1 spell slot up to 3rd, require no attunement and recharge daily.
The main difference is that pearls of power require an action to use, which just makes you regain your slot, you don't cast the spell.
So an 11th level wizard, could cast 10 lightning bolts in a row with the wand, but only 3 with the pearls, because after the initial 3 slots are used he would have to spend an action to regain the slot, and then another action to cast the spell (although it's unlikely a combat will last long enough for 10 lighting bolts to be cast back to back)

Overall I really like pearls of power, as they are cheap and flexible and generally the 1 action use cost is not a big deal if they are used as "mana potions" out of combat, but wands still have a place IMO because:
1) with a normal wand you could expend all 7 charges for a 9th level lightning bolt (12d6), which is something an 11th level caster wouldn't be able to do
2) they can hold a spell that you don't know or you don't want to prepare

Last edited:

Selganor

Adventurer
It seems that it is missing the attunement requirement. (which it has in O5E)

They are also cheaper than a cantrip wand (which costs 500) or two 3rd level spell scrolls (350) so NOT having a limit like attunement make them more powerful than an uncommon item should be.

DiamondB

Explorer
It seems that it is missing the attunement requirement. (which it has in O5E)

They are also cheaper than a cantrip wand (which costs 500) or two 3rd level spell scrolls (350) so NOT having a limit like attunement make them more powerful than an uncommon item should be.
We just had a discussion about item attunements in the O5e game I play in and the Pearl of Power came up - we were shuffling magic items among the characters, as some of us were starting to bump into the attunement limits. End result was a pearl of power and cloak of protection needing to find new owners because both of those required attunement and the current owners had more "pressing" needs - bard came into possession of a hat of disguise and wanted to be prepared for shenanigans.

Anyhow, after that party discussion, to see the comment here regarding no attunement for pearls of power I thought I was going a bit crazy and considered the possibility that my O5e GM was gaslighting us about the pearl's attunement requirement. I run a hybrid Level Up game (transitioning players from 05e to Level Up, so baby steps on the rules this campaign and then full Level Up next campaign) and the druid has a pearl of power, but I think he's just used the O5e rules for it, so I never would have caught it. I'm so glad someone caught that attunement is indeed a O5e requirement, but not the case in Level Up - is that intentional or an oversight?

Remove ads