• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Is there a male counterpart to the hag?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I'm pretty darn sure the Hag in D&D comes directly from Chaucer. "The Wyf of Bath". and also the Witches from Macbeth.

I'm pretty darn sure the hag of D&D comes from Norse and Celtic mythology which is far, far older than Chaucer. Really though much of Chaucer's tales are retellings of far older tales, like tale of the Green Knight (I forget which member of the troupe tells that tale, one of the women if I remember - I think its the Wife of Baths Tale...). Though also part of the Arthurian Mythos, the Green Knight tale is even older than that, a part of ancient Celtic folklore. And MacBeth is based on late Celtic history - so the witches of that play is also derived from ancient Celtic folklore.

Last edited:

If I had a player who wanted to play a male version of the hag, I would let him (or her). You could just give it another name and keep the same basic rules.

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
The D&D troll seems like a pretty good fit for the D&D hag.
Not to me. In fairy tales, the closest equivalent to a male hag was the ogre, which was an intelligent, sophisticated magician (you can see an example in the tale Puss In Boots) completely unlike the Ogre and Oni in Pathfinder.

There is a new monster that was just published in one of the modules (Tears at Bitter Manor) that is the male equivalent of a hag.
I've looked it up an found the stats here. It seems to be interesting, so I'll be giving it a look.

I'd say the equivalent of a Night Hag would be something like a "boogeyman".

Found in dark tales and disturbing legends (a 3e ravenloft supplement).
Looked it up. Doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Not to me. In fairy tales, the closest equivalent to a male hag was the ogre, which was an intelligent, sophisticated magician (you can see an example in the tale Puss In Boots) completely unlike the Ogre and Oni in Pathfinder.

They just kinda look the same to me, the D&D Troll and the D&D Hag. I buy them as the same species.

I have a difficulty connecting the hag to germanic-style trolls/ogres, because in my folklore the scary magician trolls are always female, while the males are idiotic thugs. So a female troll/ogre is the larger, smarter and scarier of the species.

Remove ads