• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a Monk version/variant of the Psyhic Warrior?

jarlaxlecq

First Post
I like the idea of a fighter that enhances his abilities with the power of the mind however i think i'd be more appropriate for a Monk as they are already all about focusing their inter power. Is there any class like that?

Sort of. If you use the Expanded Psionic Handbook (XPH) look at the Fist of Zuikoden. At ~5th level a monk can start taking FoZ. IIRC, it stacks with monk levels for flurry of blows, unarmed damage, and...something else. The FoZ gains 1 power/level and gets up to 5th level powers. FoZ is a 10-level PrC so it has a decent progression.

IMO it's good if you get it as soon as possible where the powers prove useful. Wait too long and you don't gain enough vs. the high-level monk abilities you'd lose. IMC it's an epic-only class, but that's more plot than a judgement on its power.

Scion

First Post
You can pretty much already play a psychic warrior as a monk anyway. Just pick appropriate powers and feats. (inertial armor, speed of thought, up the walls, claws of the beast, etc)

Or are you looking for a monk with psychic powers?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Scion said:
You can pretty much already play a psychic warrior as a monk anyway. Just pick appropriate powers and feats. (inertial armor, speed of thought, up the walls, claws of the beast, etc)
Yep. This is how I created my Li Mu Bai clone for a high-level game. Just went straight Psychic Warrior and picked up a magic longsword. There's actually a power that will give you a better bonus than Inertial Armor that can last most of the day. Then Speed of Thought, Up the Walls, Dimension Door...

There's really no reason why you can't just take Psychic Warrior and re-write the flavor text so that the class uses ki techniques to fuel his powers rather than psychic energy. Make the fluff fit your concept, the mechanics are already sound.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
You could always stick as a straight monk but take the "wild talent" feat which gives you some pp, and then you can pick up feats like "Psionic fist", "greater psionic fist", "unavoidable touch", "up the walls" etc - things that require expenditure of focus but give a decent benefit.

That way you can stay a straight monk but gain some cool "ki" powers too.

(the other way is fine too. I have a monk PC who intends to get to about 11th/12th monk and then switch to PsyWar)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I have a class with basically what you want - however it is for a book that is being published by anothe publisher, so it won't be out for some months to come...

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
A friend and I were talking about something like this, and you could probably drop the bonus feats from PsyW and the extraneous spell-like abilities and whatnot from the monk (keeping unarmed strike, flurry, Wis to AC, and movement), and jamming the two classes together.

On paper, it doesn't look too bad, and could probably work. Thoughts?

Brad

Remove ads