• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a Power Word: Sleep spell somewhere?

Ayrk

First Post
For my next adventure, I need to capture a character as quickly and certainly as possible. Since everyone is 18th level I want to avoid saving throws. Power Word Kill is obviously a little to potent and Stun or Blind don't last long enough.

So is there a Power Word Sleep anywhere or does anyone have a suggestion on how to capture a single high level character. He will be by himself in a city-type environment.

Thanks.

RisnDevil

First Post
Well, since we are talking 18th level, just have said BBEG create a Power Word: Sleep. For me, the level of the spell is kinda tricky though. I think it should be based off HD like sleep (and not HP like Power Word: Stun). The problem is, Power Word: Stun is an 8th level spell, and Power Word: Kill is 9th level. I think PW: Sleep would fall squarely in between, being more powerful than PW: Stun (Since it will probably have/need a longer duration) but not as strong as PW: Kill.

Just my $0.02

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
RisnDevil said:
Well, since we are talking 18th level, just have said BBEG create a Power Word: Sleep. For me, the level of the spell is kinda tricky though. I think it should be based off HD like sleep (and not HP like Power Word: Stun). The problem is, Power Word: Stun is an 8th level spell, and Power Word: Kill is 9th level. I think PW: Sleep would fall squarely in between, being more powerful than PW: Stun (Since it will probably have/need a longer duration) but not as strong as PW: Kill.

Just my $0.02
I would model it after Power Word: Stun. Make it a 9th level spell, keep the limit at 150 HP and the durations the same. It will affect creatures between 101 and 150 HP that would not be affected by PW: Kill. It fully incapacitates making the foe helpless and susceptible to a coup de grace, and can be used to capture when you don't want to go the lethal route of PW: Kill.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I am almost positive I saw that spell somewhere. It's not in the SRD, though. I seem to recall it being a low level spell and I seem to recall thinking how horrible broken it was:

Functionally, Sleep is actually worse than Stun. You can't coup de grace someone who is stunned; you can c.d.g. someone who is asleep.

So if you can put them to sleep, you might as well kill them. (To paraphrase Monte's thoughts on the subject from one of his design diaries a while back.)

So, if

Power Word: Blind is 7th level (blinded creatures can't defend but can act, and aren't helpless);

Power Word: Stun is 8th level (stunned creatures can't defend and can't act, but aren't helpless);

Power Word: Kill is 9th level, then...

Power Word: Sleep is probably also 9th level.

If you want someone dead, Power Word: Sleep is almost as good as Power Word: Kill. I'd say that the utility you get from the option to take someone alive, or kill them, with a single spell, is offset by the fact that some creatures are immune to sleep, and that a single coup de grace isn't necessarily fatal (although it almost always is).

I'd have no problem substituting Power Word Sleep for Power Word Kill on a 1-to-1 basis.

EDIT: Found it. Power Word Sleep was a 2nd level arcane spell in Baldur's Gate 2. No idea where they pulled it from, though. It has the hallmarks of a poorly-thought-out WOTC supplement spell, though. (Sorry to say...)

And there's this:
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=168924&postcount=20

Last edited:

Try the 5th level core spell Deep Slumber.

Note that Murphy's Law alone makes it nearly impossible to capture PCs. They'll roll a 20 or have one hit point too many or something. Give the spell to a sorcerer, so they can at least try again. Note that an encounter where a sorcerer has to wait until the PC is injured and then does nothing but cast heightened sleep spells results in a cakewalk for the PCs.

Ayrk

First Post
Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll just swap PW Kill for PW Sleep using the 150 hp limit. With no Saving Throw, I should be able to capture the PC without too much effort (which has just now guranteed the PC will break free somehow and mess up my nicely planned adventure. :) )

Huw

First Post
Power Word: Sleep was a 2nd level spell in 2e. It was identical to sleep, expect it was a power word rather than a spell, so it was fast, with no somatic or material components. Remember in 2e, sleep didn't have a saving throw.

I believe it first appeared in "Dreams of the Red Wizards".

Races of the Dragon has some new power words. And don't forget that extend spell can give PW: Stun and PW: Blind an extra kick.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads