Pathfinder 1E Is there a way to beat Energy Resistance/Immunity?

Particle_Man

Explorer
I was thinking about being some kind of Evoker mage (or something that does Elemental damage) but was trying to see how I can beat Energy Resistance/Immunity. Even the lowly Dretch Demon has Fire/Cold/Acid Resistance 10 and flat out immunity to Lightning.

Is there a class ability, feat, etc., that can bypass Energy Immunities/Resistance? I am trying to get this going right from level 1 if possible.

I mean I know mages can do better things that just damage their opponents, but is there a way to at least make this less difficult?

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
I am only aware of two ways to achieve this exclusively with Pathfinder.
1) As a wizard, choose to specialize in the sub-school of Admixture. While it doesn't allow for you to directly bypass a resistance/immunity, it does allow you to target one they either do not have, or the lowest (assuming it comes in one of the 4 recommended elemental flavors).

2) Significantly less helpful, is the Elemental Spell metamagic feat. Having to spend four feat slots to get access to each of the 4 accepted elemental types and paying a +1 to spell level makes this rather unappealing.

I believe I remember reading that both 3.5's Sandstorm and Frostburn have something to mess with resistances/immunities. I also don't doubt that 3rd party books may also aid in this endeavor.

Razjah

Explorer
Sonic damage is handy for getting around resistances. When I played a PF game we used mythic tiers. The mages could blast through resistances; but I don't know which powers and abilities allowed them to do that.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Or, you could just suck it up and recognize that a 1st level PC is going to have a rough go of it against such creatures. That's why you have a fighter or Paladin to hit it with a weapon. Cold iron or a good aligned weapon does full damage to a dretch.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
[MENTION=16077]3catcircus[/MENTION] Dude what the hell. He's not complaining about those type of monsters for level 1. He just wants to make sure the character he builds starting at level 1 works towards his goal.
[MENTION=892]Particle_Man[/MENTION] Here are those 2 feats I mentioned in my previous post are Piercing Cold and Searing Spell (From the errata, "Creatures with the fire subtype remain undamaged by the spell").

If your DM allows them, you could request identical versions for both acid and electricity. Instead of taking all 4 energy types, I would be more inclined to use Energy Substitution in conjunction with the energy type my character wanted to focus on. Please note that Energy Substitution can be used on every spells you prepare, while the Versatile Evocation (while limited uses) is on cast. In addition, the Elemental Manipulation from the Admixture sub-school specialization in conjunction with Protection from Energy and Resist Energy spells can allow you to focus on a single energy type while protection yourself and your allies from any energy damage thrown around in a fight.

You could also discuss "creating" spells that have part or all of the feat baked in. Such as a fireball that deals d4s to all hit and ignores resistance.

3catcircus

Adventurer
[MENTION=16077]3catcircus[/MENTION] Dude what the hell. He's not complaining about those type of monsters for level 1. He just wants to make sure the character he builds starting at level 1 works towards his goal.

[MENTION=892]Particle_Man[/MENTION] Here are those 2 feats I mentioned in my previous post are Piercing Cold and Searing Spell (From the errata, "Creatures with the fire subtype remain undamaged by the spell").

If your DM allows them, you could request identical versions for both acid and electricity. Instead of taking all 4 energy types, I would be more inclined to use Energy Substitution in conjunction with the energy type my character wanted to focus on. Please note that Energy Substitution can be used on every spells you prepare, while the Versatile Evocation (while limited uses) is on cast. In addition, the Elemental Manipulation from the Admixture sub-school specialization in conjunction with Protection from Energy and Resist Energy spells can allow you to focus on a single energy type while protection yourself and your allies from any energy damage thrown around in a fight.

You could also discuss "creating" spells that have part or all of the feat baked in. Such as a fireball that deals d4s to all hit and ignores resistance.

His "...get this going right from Level 1..." sounded to me like he was trying to bypass it even at 1st level.

Even if that isn't the case, I'm all for not trying to go through the walls when the rules put them in there in the first place with the intent of having the means to defeat them at the proscribed level.

Hence, I'd as DM, refuse to alliw such a spell with thefeat baked in.

Best way: bring scrolls of the things you're not commonly memorizing. If :):):):) hits the fan, you have a backup plan. If you're high level invest in 'craft staff' feat to get those at half-price, then take your pick of the litter there... whatever you cast out of these bad boys use your caster level, your Int bonus for save DCs, and even funnels through your Spell Penetration / Spell Focus feats. It also lets you have a Staff of Power at half price...

Lylandra

Adventurer
Going sonic works, but it always seemed cheesy and metagamey to me. I'm glad PF ditched the elemental substitution [sonic] although I'd rather let the subtitution feat be +0.

For working with resistances as a caster, it depends on the circumstances, really. If you're the standard combat mage, just make sure to take a good mixture of elemental and non-elemental type spells. Magic missile, for example, is a wonderful spell for overcoming early resistances. If you plan to play an elementalist-style mage (especially if you are to fight lots of elementals/outsiders), then it would be wise to discuss your upcoming problem with your DM beforehand. For example, I was playing a fire oracle/sorcerer of Asmodeus and our opponents were lots of outsiders. My DM allowed me to take the "overheated fire" feat and renamed it "hellfire spell".

Starfox

Hero
There is a universal damage spell - it is called haste. It does any kind of damage your warrior allies can do. For advanced students, there is telekinetic charge.

:)

Remove ads