• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a weapon attack order?

Stalker0

Legend
Here's the situation. I have a feat where everytime I get a hit I gain a +1 to my attack rolls against an opponent until I miss, then all of the bonus is gone (a combo feat if you will).

Now I have TWF and ITWF. I have a BAB of 11/6/1 and I can get hasted.

So my attacks are 11/6/1 with primary, another 11 with haste, and a 11/6 with ITWF. My question is can I choose to do all of my 11's first, followed by the 6's, and the 1 last?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Stalker0 said:
So my attacks are 11/6/1 with primary, another 11 with haste, and a 11/6 with ITWF. My question is can I choose to do all of my 11's first, followed by the 6's, and the 1 last?
That is up to your GM. Some would let you do that, while others prefer you resolve primary hand before off hand.

Beckett

Explorer
Stalker0 said:

That's actually how you do it. From the SRD

If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first.

So, your attacks would be 11/11/11/6/6/1.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Beckett said:
That's actually how you do it.

Firstly: "If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first."

Let's say I do not have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, and have a longsword and a shortsword. My normal attack bonus is +3, but I take a -4 penalty with the longsword and a -8 penalty with the shortsword; my attack bonuses are therefore -1 and -5 respectively.

Even though one has a higher attack bonus than the other, I can strike with either weapon first.

What's not clear, once we start adding, say, ITWF, is whether I must make all strikes with one weapon before making all strikes with the other weapon.

If we take the initial example, where the longsword strikes at +11/+11/+6/+1 and the shortsword strikes at +11/+6, we know that I can strike with the shortsword first. But if I do, does that mean I must make both attacks before I can begin striking with the longsword, or does it only refer to the first attack?

"If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest."

Now, when it says "the attacks", does it mean "the multiple attacks I get because my base attack bonus is high enough"? Because of the six attacks under discussion, only three of them are "multiple attacks I get because my base attack bonus is high enough". One of them is "multiple attacks because I am under the effects of a Haste spell", and two of them are "multiple attacks because I have the ITWF feat". So we know that the three iterative longsword attacks must be taken in order, +11, +6, +1... but there's no rule covering when the shortsword attacks or the hasted attack must be taken.

In theory, I could take my +1 off-hand attack first, then my +11 haste attack, then my +6 off-hand attack, because they're not restricted to a specific order.

"If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest."

When it says "in order from highest bonus to lowest", does this refer to the adjusted base attack bonus component of the attack bonus, or does it refer to the total attack bonus?

Let's say I have a BAB of +6, a Str of 8, a Dex of 18, and the halfling racial bonus to thrown weapons.

I have a dagger. I stab one orc, and throw the dagger at a second orc.

Let's say I use my +6 iterative attack to stab the first orc. My total attack bonus is +5: +6 BAB, -1 for Str. Then I throw the dagger with my +1 iterative attack. My total attack bonus is +6: +1 BAB, +4 for Dex, +1 racial bonus. But this means that I have not taken the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest; my bonus on the first attack was +5, and on the second was +6!

-Hyp.

Beckett

Explorer
If you want to figure that out Hyp, by all means, though it looks like you're overcomplicating things. For my table, make the attacks in base attack order. If you're getting more than one at a BAB number (ie, the character above have +11 with his on-hand, +11 with his off-hand, and +11 from haste) do them in whatever order you want, then move on to the next (the +6s).

Krafen

First Post
Beckett said:
If you want to figure that out Hyp, by all means, though it looks like you're overcomplicating things. For my table, make the attacks in base attack order. If you're getting more than one at a BAB number (ie, the character above have +11 with his on-hand, +11 with his off-hand, and +11 from haste) do them in whatever order you want, then move on to the next (the +6s).

This is how I read it as well.

Felnar

First Post
Beckett said:
i think hypersmurfs point is that there is no clearly defined answer to Stalker0's question

just ask your DM and group how they want to interpret it
if they decide that you must make all strikes with one weapon before making strikes with the other weapon, your attack order is 11/11/6/11/6/1 (haste, all offhand, all primary hand) which is very close to your ideal of 11/11/11/6/6/1

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads