• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is there any D&D 4th computer game?

kolpo

First Post
Is there any D&D 4th computer game? Either in developement or released. When I searched for it found I none.

Thought I think it might be harder to transform the current rules into realtime then it was for previous editions. D&D 4 really seems to be made with very tactical turn based combat in mind, combat where carefully planning each turn of each player is very important and where turns are refered to in many powers(like do x until end of your next turn). Forced movement also works far better in a turn based enviroment. In real time could for example a monster(with less intitiative then the next player) that has been forced to move already have moved back to it's original position before the next player has finished his move, that would simply destroy a lot of tactics and the very purpose of forced movement.

But I think that a well made D&D4 game with turn based combat could actually be very fun, it would be far more tactical and strategical then any D&D game before it. Also unlike previous editions do I see no combat powers that can't be transfered to turn based computer games. It is also only the combat part that needs to be turn based the rest can stay real time.

fba827

Adventurer
you're right, it would be a good turn-based rpg game.

nothing that has been released or announced as of yet.

having said that, i wouldn't be surprised if there is something brewing in the shadows currently under development but still not near ready for release...

bonus

First Post
I doubt there ever will be a (mainstream) 4th edition CRPG. Licensing costs for D&D are very expensive (I read that on some Bioware developer's blog) and turn-based games don't sell very well. I think it would be near impossible to make a 4th edition CRPG that isn't turn-based.

OakwoodDM

First Post
I seem to recall that one of the pieces of news coming out of Gen Con was that Atari would be making an announcement regarding a D&D game towards the end of the year.

I may be misremembering, but I'm sure I read that or something similar in one of the Gen Con reports.

From a personal point of view, I'd love a turn based 4e CRPG. Then again, I also really enjoyed the Temple of Elemental Evil game that they put out for 3e, so I suspect my taste in CRPGs isn't reflected in the wider world...

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I doubt there ever will be a (mainstream) 4th edition CRPG. Licensing costs for D&D are very expensive (I read that on some Bioware developer's blog) and turn-based games don't sell very well. I think it would be near impossible to make a 4th edition CRPG that isn't turn-based.

What a load of bollocks.

The Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series, and previous edition games have all been turn-based and have sold very well.

The only reason the Temple of Elemental Evil didn't do well for Troika was because it was a buggy piece of crap. And even then, it didn't do terribly.

Neverwinter Nights is essentially turn-based and that has done quite well.

As per Bioware's developer blogs, the biggest difficulty they said they faced was converting the rules into a computer game. Some things just didn't cross-over very well so they often had to come up with changes. That, and they thought they knew better than D&D designers.

The whole reason they abandoned D&D was because they had their hands tied too much with changes to the system and creative control of the story aspects. Dragon Age is their attempt at a computer based RPG system and setting free of those constraints.

Personally, I think 4e would lend itself very well to a CRPG. I'd love to see one developed in the current Forgotten Realms setting using the RAW instead of Bioware's hacks. It's really a matter of finding a skilled team of developers who won't botch the job.

Unfortunately anything WotC does in-house to do with software seems to automatically be crap. As much as I like the Character Builder and Monster Builder, they're still buggy, bloated and badly designed. And let's not even get into the website...

abyssaldeath

First Post
The only reason the Temple of Elemental Evil didn't do well for Troika was because it was a buggy piece of crap. And even then, it didn't do terribly.

I would love to see ToEE type of game made. I bought ToEE, but I never got even close to finishing it. It wasn't even the bugs that bothered me. It was the overall design of the game that was bad.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My son said that he would miss the freedom to visualize your characters and "especially their moves" with a D&D 4e online... (and he likes Oblivion and WoW... but they dont give him this element).

abyssaldeath

First Post
Just because there is a CRPG doesn't mean you stop playing PnP. I can't play PnP, but once or twice a year. I'm dieing for a 4e CRPG. Even when I was playing PnP regularly I couldn't play every day, but that would be awesome.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think it points to something different that could be done.... in an online 4e... allow animations to be selected and colors defined etc. I did a lot of Quake hacking in my day. A lot more can be done -- and if you want something creative that fits 4e?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads