• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Is there any reason to be cured of lycanthropy?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Thank you! I was getting tired of it too. Truthfully, I was trying to find a reason - in the Pathfinder rules, not in tradition or legends as you said - why being a lycanthrope was a bad thing. Some people did address that, though I think they took it too far, mostly because the rules as written are a little too vague. Probably explicitly for the reason to allow DMs to decide.
Sounds awfully like you're trying to ready a defense for when you decide to become a werewolf, so that your DM doesn't screw you over. Have fun!

Keldin

First Post
Sounds awfully like you're trying to ready a defense for when you decide to become a werewolf, so that your DM doesn't screw you over. Have fun!

I admit that I was definitely considering it. In the end, though, I think that I'd go against it. If it was, strictly speaking, based on rules-as-written, maybe. But, in general, I don't think I'll go for it. Just the chance of injuring the party (some of them are pretty frail) removes it as an option.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Hey,

Wouldn't a werewolf usually be a bit larger than the average wolf, anywhere from 25% (+25 pounds) to 125% (+125 pounds) bigger? Here is what ol' wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_wolf said:
The gray wolf or grey wolf (Canis lupus) is a species of canid native to the wilderness and remote areas of North America, Eurasia, and North Africa. It is the largest member of its family, with males averaging 43–45 kg (95–99 lb), and females 36–38.5 kg (79–85 lb).[3] It is similar in general appearance and proportions to a German shepherd,[4] or sled dog, but has a larger head, narrower chest, longer legs, straighter tail and bigger paws.[5] Its winter fur is long and bushy, and predominantly a mottled gray in colour, although nearly pure white, red, or brown to black also occur.[4]

What would a wolf do if dropped into a pit with a dozen or so other wolfs clearly smaller and less aggressive than itself? What would it do if one of those others refused to submit or stepped up to challenge it? What is the threat threshold for a wolf where an opponent is considered to be making an attack instead of posturing?

I'd say that a werewolf is naturally very aggressive, and would be a bit disorientated after a transformation. How would making that wolf disoriented and angry affect what happens?

(And ... what would happen if the same wolf were dropped in a pit with what smelled like prey instead of other wolfs?

Thx!

TomB

Last edited:

If you are affected, you will might turn every time you are injured (will DC 15) - how is this not a detriment to the player, considering the DM takes over? Also, lycantrophes have alignment, so even if your character doesen't change alignment right away the DM is free to roleplay a CE werewolf while he is controlling your character. And this is by pathfinder RAW as per the SRD.

Keldin

First Post
It seems to me the rules are not fundamentally changed, but they might have missed repeating the information in several places.

Ah, I found it. Yes - that's not actually in the Bestiary at all, that I can see. It's in the core rulebook... and apparently only applies to werewolves. Or, at least, that's the only sample they give. They may mean for it to be extrapolated from there, though.

Ah, I found it. Yes - that's not actually in the Bestiary at all, that I can see. It's in the core rulebook... and apparently only applies to werewolves. Or, at least, that's the only sample they give. They may mean for it to be extrapolated from there, though.

Yes the Pathfinder books are notorious for omitting rules from 3.5 D&D as an oversight rather than as a rules change. The changes to Energy Drain was an actual rules change, but some spells etc. simply lack a line or two that clarifies it. In any case it makes this discussion rather obsolete.

Keldin

First Post
In any case it makes this discussion rather obsolete.

Only partially, really. The biggest problem I had with the D&D version was the forced alignment change, and, as near as I can tell, that IS gone. I can (and have) made an argument that the wolf-form lycanthrope might well see the other party members as part of his 'pack' and would act to defend it. Remember that the wolf retains the human-level intelligence. (Actually, it takes the greater of the human form's and the animal form's intelligence. But if your human form's intelligence is less than 2, you've got far bigger problems than just being a werewolf.)

Only partially, really. The biggest problem I had with the D&D version was the forced alignment change, and, as near as I can tell, that IS gone. I can (and have) made an argument that the wolf-form lycanthrope might well see the other party members as part of his 'pack' and would act to defend it. Remember that the wolf retains the human-level intelligence. (Actually, it takes the greater of the human form's and the animal form's intelligence. But if your human form's intelligence is less than 2, you've got far bigger problems than just being a werewolf.)

Why do you mind the alignment change? Werewolves are supposed to be chaotic evil, and legends abound on the afflicted turning on those they loved or were friends with - that's part of the horror. That doesn't mean it has to be suicidal, or that the alignment of the afflicted when not being under the Effect has to be altered. In any case the Detect Evil spell will detect werewolves as evil when they are changed, as they have "evil intent", regardless of their actual alignment.

If all that happens in the change is physical then you remove the horror element of werewolves from your campaign, and might as well remove the "curse" too and change it something more akin to White Wolf Werewolves instead - I.E werewolves choose when to procreate, and are not mindless, but may still be viewing humans as food.

Remove ads