Is there more to D&D then Dungeon Crawling?

What do you think the D&D rules are aimed at?

• Mainly dungeon-crawls

Votes: 45 33.6%
  • Mainly above-ground adventures

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • A good mix of both

Votes: 55 41.0%
  • The rules aren't aimed at either, really

Votes: 24 17.9%

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I almost clicked on above ground, until I noticed the question was not what we mostly run, but what the rules focus on - so I clicked on dungeon crawl.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Psion said:
So we should scrap all creatures that aren't dragons then? ;)

No, just all creatures that are neither Dragons nor live in Dungeons.

I mean really the Gelatinous Cube just doesn't look right in the middle of a open field. Atop a grassy gnoll maybe...

TTFN

EvilE

maddman75

First Post
I don't do a lot of dungeon crawling when I DM - well mostly because I ran RttToEE and I'm sick to death of them :). Nor do I paticularly get off on doign it when I'm a player. But it isn't bad really.

I recognize that all RPG games are dungeon crawls. It's just that sometimes the dungeon is filled with different quarters of a city and scheming politicians instead of 10 x 10 rooms and orcs guarding treasure chests. Or a seemingly endless desert instead of an Arcane Locked door. All setting, foes, and obstacles just dressed up differently.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I have to say that the system lends itselve more toward dungeons than above ground wilderness adventures. That is to say, it is biased toward monsters in rooms within some kind of complex that must be traversed in some fasion toward some end goal. Whether that be a dungeon, a temple, a keep, or anything else along those lines, that is what the main game was designed with in mind.

I say this becuase of the way the CR system is set up, how movement is done, the fact that there arn't rules for large scale battles, the rules for traps, various monsterous races, many spells that assume close formation fighting, and many things I found to be implied while reading through the books. That is not to say that you can't have a great non-dungeon delving campaign. I run many city based adventures and wildnerness adventures and have my entire DM career. Just, dungeoneering was the main focus in balancing and desiging the D&D game.

Remove ads