• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

is there such thing as a good FR novel?

Zerovoid

First Post
Well, its been a number a years since I read any DnD books, but I remember most of them fondly, and I still try to keep up with Drizzt's adventures. It could be because I read most of these books in junior high or early high school that I liked them.

Drizzt books - pretty good, especially some of the homelands books. Not the best writing in the world, but fun, and lots of action.

Cleric Quintet - In the same line as the Drizzt books, but with a much more fun and wacky feeling, instead of being brooding and angsty.

Moonshae trilogy - I remember reading this a long time ago and liking it, although it doesn't even seem like part of the realms, since the Moonshae Islands are so islolated.

Avatar trilogy - Not very good at all, but perhaps interesting if you want to know something about the history of FR's dieties.

I also enjoyed reading alot of Dragonlance books, although only the core Chronicles and Legends series are reallly any good. If you can find the books about the bad guys, Enemies of the Lance or something, avoid the one about High Lord Toede at all costs. Quite possibly the worst use of the written word ever.

King_Stannis

Explorer
in an interview, George RR Martin was asked what advice he could give new and struggling fantasy writers. he emphatically said that they should not write in someone else's world, otherwise they will be curtailed.

i wish more RPG-novel writers would heed this advice. either they would be inspired to come up with something really creative or they would not write anything at all. either way, the consumer wins.

Tsyr

Explorer
King_Stannis said:
i wish more RPG-novel writers would heed this advice. either they would be inspired to come up with something really creative or they would not write anything at all. either way, the consumer wins.

How so? Either way it effects you not at all. If you don't like the books don't read them... you win. If you like the books, as some do, read them. You win. And new worlds are still created (See Martin, Jordan, etc), and thus people still win.

The current situation is the win-win-win senario. In fact, I can think of no individual who loses in the current situation.

As always, pardon my horrid spelling.

jollyninja

First Post
at the verry least they could come up with their own support characters, i think that the originality factor is what's lacking in alot of dnd authors writing. If I read another book where someone takes an allready popular or well known character and makes them a prominent support character instead of coming up with their own personna to fit the role, i will probably quit even checking the books out from the library. at least salvatore has never used elminster, though he has used two of the seven sisters. though usually they have not played a large role.

Sulimo

First Post
Eridanis said:
The only FR author I like is Elaine Cunningham. She is a good *writer* with a strong sense of the setting, and the ability to write interesting characters and plots. I'm looking forward to the third book in her latest trilogy this month.

I'd definitely agree here. Although I dont like Counselors & Kings as much as her earlier stuff. But then, I'm a HUGE fan of Danilo so that might be colouring my judgement a little.

KingThorvar

First Post
I like Salvatore.. to each his own. *I* certainly couldn't write a novel much less a complete series..

Now "Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil"... that novel really stunk! :D

Claude Raines

First Post
Oni said:
I just read Elminster: The Making of a Mage this January. In my opinion the book was not very good (more than that, I thought it was silly), and about the only reason I finished it was becuase I don't like not finishing books. I don't know what others think of the book, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone myself.

I agree with this. I read the novel out of curiosity and the fact I found it in a used book store. However, all it really did was drive home the fact that Elminster really is Elmunchkin. From now on, if I want to read about anyone's "Oldest & Greatest" character, I'll read the old threads by Edena of Neith. Much more interesting and entertaining.

Victim

First Post
I don't really expect too much out of FR books. Some of them are entertaining, but I don't think I'd call any of the ones I've read good.

King_Stannis

Explorer
Tsyr said:

How so? Either way it effects you not at all. If you don't like the books don't read them... you win. If you like the books, as some do, read them. You win. And new worlds are still created (See Martin, Jordan, etc), and thus people still win.

The current situation is the win-win-win senario. In fact, I can think of no individual who loses in the current situation.

As always, pardon my horrid spelling.

you do have a valid point, tsyr. i'll pardon your spelling if you forgive my occasional bi#tching and moaning. ;)

actually, though, the flood of (IMHO) mediocre rpg novels might have a tangental effect. it could make it harder for new authors (those who write their own world) to be "recognized" amid the flood of TSR/WotC novels on a book shelf. a stretch, i'll grant you, but you'll agree that it's at least possible. i guess i'm kind of against "brand name" novels in general. i feel the same way i do about d&d novels as i do with star trek, and to a lesser extent star wars.

but, as you said, no one is really hurt by this proliferation of novels. i'd like to think that a good non-rpg fantasy novel will rise to the top, so to speak.

Tsyr

Explorer
I dunno that there is any danger of a "flood" of brand novels...

At a guess, the local bookstore (Who has a wall something like 6'5" tall, all the way down to the floor, and about 10 feet long full of fantasy and sci-fi novels... I'm guessing the height from the fact that I just barely have to look up to read the top row of titles, and I'm 6'3") has MAYBE 20 "brand" fantasy novels at any one time. That's... oh... about two feet on one row. And that's Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, and the odd M:tG book combined. Not counting hard covers, of course, which are in another section regardless of genre. The few times I've been in the not-so-local Borders it was about 20 feet of shelves, maybe 5 feet high, and maybe twice the number of brand fantasy novels.

Not any real danger I don't think. Heck, the Robert Jordan section tends to be larger than all the DnD books.

If I were going to "crusade" against any brand books, it would be Star Wars and Star Trek. Don't get me wrong, I like both, but dangit... that's about all the sci-fi novels you can find anymore. Oh, a few come out now and then, but you never hear much about them, and they fade quickly...

Remove ads