• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this a badass wizard?

Eolin

Explorer
In my 4e game, I play a dwarven wizard. He seemed awesome when I put him together. We're now fourth level, and I feel like I don't hit as often as those with higher primary states.

He was my first fourth character. I took high strength to have the option of the armor feats, and because high strength is cool.

Starting Stats:
str 13, Con 16, Dex 8, int 16, Wis 16, Cha 10.
Implement: Staff. He just got the Thunderwave staff, though I haven't gotten to see it in action. Due to the holidays, we aren't meeting again until January.

Feats: Cleric Multiclass (modded to Lay on Hands instead of the clerical healing), Toughness, and Leather Armor Proficiency.

At-Will Powers: Thunderwave, Cloud of Daggers.
Encounter Powers: Force Orb (just switched to Icy Terrain at 4th, but I've not seen it yet), and Color Spray.
Utility Powers: Expeditious Retreat ("CHARGE!"), Jump ("No one tosses a dwarf!")
Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere, and the cold one.

Here my concern: While I can jump in and attack the bad guys, I seem to not hit quite as often as I'd like. My guess is this is due to the 16 int. I'm raising it and wisdom at fourth, but (of course) that won't have much effect until 8th.

As a side concern: Any idea why they kept it as +1 at 4th and 8th? It makes the decision feel much less important, and forces long-term thought instead of short-term.

More specific questions:

1. So, should the Thunder wave staff (my first magic implement) make a huge difference, or will I still feel like I don't hit all too often?

2. Is there any way to correct that situtation, other than becoming an action-surging human?

3. Is the idea of a wizard wading into melee, blowing back the enemies and standing toe to toe too far removed from the classical DnD wizard for him to still be good at hitting folks?

4. Is that a bad-ass image to others, or just to me?

5. Do my powers really reflect the desire to be a melee mage, or were others more apporpriate? Clearly thunderwave is about the optimal choice, but are other encounter or daily powers good as well?

6. Are the non-leather armor proficiencies worthwhile? Or would it have been wiser (from a purely min-maxing standpoint) to start with a 17 int and a 10 strength?

Last edited:

On Puget Sound

First Post
Since Int adds to your AC while you are in light armor, it rarely makes sense to go above Hide armor, even for a dwarf. And Hide, at only +1 AC over leather, may not be worth the STR.

mlund

First Post
What's more, you have Int 16 - you don't hit enough to be a true badass.

You probably should've scavenged those 7 points you dropped into Strength 13 and Con 14 (base) and taken a 10 Strength, 12 Con (+2 to 14) and run with an 18 Int. That +1 goes a very, very long way.

- Marty Lund

Eolin

Explorer
You probably should've scavenged those 7 points you dropped into Strength 13 and Con 14 (base) and taken a 10 Strength, 12 Con (+2 to 14) and run with an 18 Int. That +1 goes a very, very long way.

Maybe, but I've really enjoyed the higher con. It means Staff power can up a defense by 3 instead of just 2.

Besides, a 16 con feels awesome. Hit points, surges, and stamina. Also, fort saves. I wanted to have good saves across the board and to be fairly hard to kill.

But, maybe you're right. I'm thinking, now, about seeing if the DM would let me lower the str and pick up int. He's been pretty flexible, which is good as we're all new to 4e.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
More specific questions:

1. So, should the Thunder wave staff (my first magic implement) make a huge difference, or will I still feel like I don't hit all too often?

It's pretty damn good. For my combat wizard, I prefer defensive staff, though. I get attacked so damn often due to my style of play that this is just too good. +1 to the other defenses is also priceless.

2. Is there any way to correct that situtation, other than becoming an action-surging human?

You could restat to an 18 of INT (and since the dwarf has a bonus to both of the best secondary stat, it's not that onerous)

Also, look at what your buddies can provide. In my party, I know that getting caught in the Cleric's divine glow to get +2 to all my attacks is a must do tactic in every encounter. Whatever party composition you are in, especially look into what the leader can do to help you.

3. Is the idea of a wizard wading into melee, blowing back the enemies and standing toe to toe too far removed from the classical DnD wizard for him to still be good at hitting folks?

Don't know what you mean. Hitting is just about having a good attack bonus, not concept.

4. Is that a bad-ass image to others, or just to me?

Yes, it's badass. I love having a wizard that is willing and able to stick to the front.

5. Do my powers really reflect the desire to be a melee mage, or were others more apporpriate? Clearly thunderwave is about the optimal choice, but are other encounter or daily powers good as well?

Burning hand instead of Force orb.

Illusory ambush instead of cloud of dagger; It's vs Will. It will help you hit more.

6. Are the non-leather armor proficiencies worthwhile? Or would it have been wiser (from a purely min-maxing standpoint) to start with a 17 int and a 10 strength?

Hide could be good but isn't a must.

ObsidianCrane

First Post
Hmm mechanically its not so tough, RP wise its as tough as you want it to be.

Level 1-3 you can get by with a 17 stat, its not great but its ok. An 18 in Int though is really important ASAP.

You are also missing from Matry's (hi Marty ;)) Con 14, Int 18 arrangement that you always have 15AC minimum, 17AC with leather and jump to 19 when you want to. Instead of your 16AC jump to 19.

Also Cleric MC's Healing Word provides better healing than lay on hands, as it gives a minimum +1 on top of the surge.

Finally from a purely mechanical perspective, Grasping Shadows (Enc 1 vs Will from Dragon mag free content) and Shield (Utility 2) are far more useful at 1 controlling and 2 keeping you safe than the equivalent spells. However if you want to blast (vs Control) Burning Hands is a great Enc. Fire Shroud (Enc 3) is also a good up close blaster power because it is ally friendly.

Will the Staff make a difference, well do you think a magic weapon makes a difference for a weapon based characters? (ie yes it will)

Finally it sounds like you really want to play a Swordmage, rather than a Wizard. A Swordmage is a Wizard who jumps into combat, weapon in hand, and blasts things with magic, or bashes things with magic through their weapon.

Mengu

First Post
The only change I would suggest, if your DM allows it, would be to knock strength back down to 10 (leather is good enough), and bump intelligence to a 17. Otherwise it looks like a reasonably well built, fun character, with a good variety of powers to fit different situations.

Remove ads