• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this a cruel DM?

Methos

Explorer
Here's the scenario:

My character (a wizard) is cursed with lycanthrope (wererat) while in a dungeon along with another party member. The party is unable to get out in time before the full moon and the 2 characters cursed with lycanthrope change and are uncontrollable in that first night.

As a result, the 2 of us kill one of our other party members and eat him. The other party members escape and lock the door to the room behind so we can't get out. In addition to killing the one party member, the DM rules the following based on the fact that lycanthropes are completely out of control ravening beasts:

All of our more destructible magic and non-magic items are destroyed by the ravening out-of-control wererats, including items in packs. This would include, food, potions, scrolls (torn up), holy water, and most importantly for me, spellbooks.

As a result, my wizard is now effectively useless since he no longer has a spellbook. He is a 3rd level wizard, by the way, and had all cantrips (obviously), 10 first level spells, and 3 second level spells in his spellbook. He did not have a backup spellbook.

Oh, and did I mention that this isn't exactly a magic rich world where scrolls even at low level can't be readily purchased? As a matter of fact, even simple healing potions are almost impossible to purchase. Nor, do we tend to find a lot of magic items in the first place. So, the truth of the matter is, it will be very difficult for my wizard to recover the spells lost. In most situations, wizards, sorcerers, and bards are considered "witches" and tend to be executed on this world when found out.

While I can see the DM's point of all this to an extent, and under a strict reading of the rules, I personally believe that a wizard's spellbook should in most situations not be the target of a DM's wrath, and think that this is a bit cruel particuarly given the constraints that the DM has placed on this world with respect to magic.

Any thoughts?

To tell you the truth, this one situation has led me to consider not being part of this play group going forward.

Vocenoctum

First Post
At the very least, it seems your particular PC is useless now. Maybe a sorcerer to replace him?

I could see if he had the wererats build a nest, but they're not acting animalistic, just insane.
::shrug::

And, the party couldn't grapple you guys or in some way stop you from killing another party member?

Crothian

First Post
Put points into Control Shape and imbrace your were rat ways. :D

If your not having fun, talk to the DM. Maybe he thinks that type of thing is fun. Maybe he's going to let you go without a spellbook fora few sessions but allow you to get a new one soon.

the Jester

Legend
Well, naturally the point of the game is to have fun, but misfortune happens to pcs in dnd, it's just how it goes. Think of it as a challenge. Ever have a character die? Is this worse, or potentially more fun?

Don't take this harshly, but it sounds like you're upset cuz you're the one who got the misfortune this time. Is the player whose character died considering quitting the group? It actually sounds like the dm has a cool story going here, with lots of potential. I had a paladin once who was infected with lycanthropy and lost his paladin. He didn't know why (there was a 9-month gap in his memory), and I as a player didn't know either. He was a great character, but he lost all his abilities and special stuff. I didn't stop playing him til he died (and he _never_ figured out what had happened to him; I wouldn't even know if the dm hadn't let it slip much much later).

Keep playing. If you have to, multiclass or something. Give the dm a chance. You might be surprised; maybe he has something in mind.

BBrendolfus

First Post
Boy that sucks.

I think the destruction seems over the top, ripping up scrolls, tearing into backpacks? Did you play out the character getting killed or was that arbitrary too?

What is the GM trying to do to your campaign?

I think you all need to point out that this is not fun and find out if this is going to be the guts of the ongoing 'campaign'.

You may need to change GM's or poach the salvagable players (and books:p if noone notices...).

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Methos said:

All of our more destructible magic and non-magic items are destroyed by the ravening out-of-control wererats, including items in packs. This would include, food, potions, scrolls (torn up), holy water, and most importantly for me, spellbooks.

Oh, and did I mention that this isn't exactly a magic rich world ...
The world's probably only magic-poor because ravening lycanthropes are running around and tearing up all magic that they come across! ;)

Uller

Adventurer
If it were me as a player, I'd consider it cool to have a character that poses a challenge to the other PCs. It might pan out into an interesting series of events.

As a DM, I'd make sure that the player understands that things will work themselves out and he's not being singled out or punished. At worst, opportunities to rectify the situation will present themselves. At best the PC way even end up better off.

If your DM isn't presenting some chance to find a cure or someother way to deal with the affliction and that is causing you to not have fun, hand him your PC and tell him you'd like it to become an NPC and you'll make a new character. Tell him that you are not having fun being a wizard-wererat with no spell book...

Not really in keeping with wererats in D&D. Base Int is 10 and your ability score for INT does not change. From the SRD:

Abilities: For a lycanthrope in humanoid form, ability scores are unchanged. In animal or hybrid form, a lycanthrope’s ability scores improve by type, as set out in the table below.

< snip >

Wererat - Dex +6, Con +2

No where does it say that your characters intelligence would change. Yes, you are now a ravening beast. But you're not a stupid ravening beast.

The first thing a wererat would do is try to get out. Gnaw through that wooden door--it shouldn't take that long with those long rat teeth. Rats can even chew through concrete in real life (because their teeth never stop growing--they have to gnaw to keep the teeth short); why not wererats trying to gnaw through stone walls?

TiQuinn

Cruel DM?.....Yes, Cruel DM.

If you're not having fun, bail on them.

If the DM doesn't have a plan for allowing you to find another spellbook and get some spells back, consider bailing.

This is a pretty bad case of a DM taking too many liberties with a character's actions (albeit inflicted with lycanthropy) and then ruling that they do something that basically screws the character. It's the DMs interpretation that wererats become out of control ravenous monsters with a taste for paper products, but according to the Monster Manual, lycanthropes retain their original intelligence. They are not mindless beasts.

Then again, you might want to see where your DM is going with this. You can tell better than we can what his intentions are. If he's giggling to himself about how you don't have a spellbook now, take that as a hint that he's probably a jerk.

Remove ads