• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this an appropriate challenge for 6-7 level 2s? (My players stay out!)

Asmor

First Post
Hey, I'm working on the first adventure for my new game, and I was wondering if you could advise me on whether this seems like an appropriate series of encounters for a party of 6-7 level 2s of unknown makeup. This is only the combat encounters. All CRs are for each individual creature.

Day 1:
Encounter 1: Dire Vulture (CR 3) + 3 vultures (CR 1/3)
Encounter 2: 2 Ashworms (CR 2)
Encounter 3: Dire Puma (CR 4)
Encounter 4: 11 Jackals (Small dogs) (CR 1/3)

Day 2:
Encounter 1: 12 Tiny Monstrous Scorpions (CR 1/3)
Encounter 2: Large Monstrous Scorpion (CR 3)

Dungeon:
Encounter 1: Gelatinous Cube (CR 3)
Encounter 2: Mummy (CR 5) + 2 Human Commoner Zombies (CR 1/2)
Encounter 3: 6 Human Commoner Zombies (CR 1/2)
Trap 1: Scything Blade Trap (CR 1)
Trap 2: Pit Trap (CR 1)

I think the thing I'm most worried about is the mummy + 2 zombies (mostly just the mummy). Would that just trample a bunch of level 2s?

robberbaron

First Post
I think that all except the mummy should be fairly straightforward for a party of that size, though they may well need to rest a few times (unless you roll high a lot or they screw up big time).
Let me put it this way; I would be happy to throw those foes at a party of that size/level.

quetzyl

First Post
If you are worried about the mummy, give them some clues that they need oil or flaming weapons to face it. The challenge of any encounter depends on the circumstances. Also be careful with the cube, as if it manages to engulf several party members they may die before the rest of the party can do anything.

Cheers,
quetzyl

Darklone

Gelatinous cube: Be careful about the rules... there has been a thread here lately with a TPK, so take care to get the rules right. Spot Checks.

The large scorpion can easily kill one PC... but the group should be able to handle it. Constrict plus poison... ugly.

Mummy: level 2 PCs? Don't. Only if they have some level 1 fire spells. And fire arrows and some place to fight the mummy with ranged weapons.

Asmor

First Post
What if the mummy's tomb was surrounded by a "moat" of lava which it could be bullrushed into? Still a bad idea?

robberbaron

First Post
Fair point about the fire.

Hmm. Makes me think: I haven't used a Gelatinous Cube for over a decade. Must be time to dust one off and run it down a corridor. With an appropriate template, of course.

werk

First Post
Asmor said:
What if the mummy's tomb was surrounded by a "moat" of lava which it could be bullrushed into? Still a bad idea?

All you are doing is reducing the challenge presented by the encounter, the mummy is still the same threat.

I threw a mummy at a small party of level 4 characters and it almost took them all out, but it had a negative energy trap that it could use to 'heal' itself.

The main problems with the mummy for low-level characters: (in this order)
-despair (mere sight of the mummy forces a DC16 or become PARALYZED!)
-damage resistance (DR 5/-)
-disease (DC16, 1d6 Con & Cha until they die)

Figure most of your party are going to be hard pressed to make those saves 50% of the time. If you plan the encounter with alchemists fire and a moat of lava, just know that the ranged attacker(s) with the fire and the fighter(s) that is going to bull-rush are doomed to fail their save and become paralyzed...

Add the regular undead properties and this guy should route a second level party if played decently. If you replace the given feats with something useful, you could scar the players for life.

Unless there is a reason you want to dump a bunch of xp on the party (which making the encounter easier should remove) I wouldn't suggest using the mummy. If you want him for plot reasons, then nerf him...make him a child or something.
I wouldn't be surprised if the jackals, zombies, or scorps didn't give the party a run for their money.

SlagMortar

First Post
I would be careful with any of the CR 4+ monsters. Take the Dire Puma for example. I don't know the exact stats, but I assume it is similar to a normal tiger. The low AC will let the PC's kill it once they get to act so it won't be a total player kill. However, if it gets a surprise round or gets to go before most the PC's, it can probably pounce and kill a weaker party member, especially since it is the 3rd encounter of the day. I think it is likely to end either anti-climatically or with a player killed.

Working off the tiger stats: The level 2 rogues or wizards probably have about 10-16 hit points and AC under 20, especially if flatfooted. On a pounce, the tiger gets 4 attacks at +11 and one at +6 that deal around 10 average damage. That will kill outright your wizard or rogue.

I've played quite a few games with large parties and in my experience it is usually better to up the number of opponents rather than up the challenge rating give single powerful foes.

Bad Paper

First Post
Asmor said:
Yeah, I was thinking of an environmental hazard, too. Are you set on a mummy? Why not a ghast and a few ghouls?

starwed

First Post
If they end up fighting the mummy, make it clear to them that it moves somewhat slowly. After an initial clash, which will probably paralyze at least a few in the group, they should be able to handle it if they just stay out of its reach.

Remove ads