• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this an Attack of Opportunity?

Telas

Explorer
We went around and around on this discussion, and finally allowed it with a DC15 Dex check (for the session), but is this an attack of opportunity?

A fighter takes a bad guy down to negative hit points, and steps forward to stand over his body. The bad guy's cleric-buddy casts "cure moderate wounds" from ten feet away, and takes a 5' step to a neighboring square to touch the bad guy's body and deliver the spell. Does the fighter get an AoO against the attempt to touch the body in his square?

I may be missing something here, but the rules don't seem to cover this situation. Thanks for any clarification or advice on this one.

Telas

azhrei_fje

First Post
Telas said:
A fighter takes a bad guy down to negative hit points, and steps forward to stand over his body. The bad guy's cleric-buddy casts "cure moderate wounds" from ten feet away, and takes a 5' step to a neighboring square to touch the bad guy's body and deliver the spell. Does the fighter get an AoO against the attempt to touch the body in his square?
I would rule that the cleric was "attacking" into your square so, yes, there is an AoO: he's trying to get past your guard in order to perform an action in your square.

The Souljourner

First Post
There's no attack of opportunity for attacking into someone's square... that would mean you get an AoO anytime anyone attacks *you*. I don't think you can cover this with the rules as written. By the rules, no, no AoO. However, I think most DMs would probably give the fighter an AoO anyway, since the cleric would have to kneel down right next to him to touch the body.

-The Souljourner

dcollins

Explorer
Notice the following from the Table: Actions in Combat (PHB or SRD):

Cast a spell (1 standard action casting time) Yes
Use touch spell on up to six friends Yes

The "touch a friend" is listed separately from casting the spell, but they both say "Yes" to the Attack of Opportunity question. (Note that 3.0 also had a line listing "Use touch spell on self: No", not found in 3.5).

Liquidsabre

Explorer
The NPC did not cast the spell in a threatened space and only moved 5-ft. Touch spells are considered armed touch attacks and do not provoke AoO's. Not sure if that applies to non-threatening touch spells though, as in this case. A CMW might threaten an undead creature but certainly not a living fighter.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
No AoO, if the cleric is willing to make a touch attack roll, which is easy enough against the unconscious one.

Bye
Thanee

TheGogmagog

First Post
dcollins said:
Ummm... you guys seeing the line in the PHB above where it says touch spells on friends do provoke AOO's?
They do, but it also says that attacking with a touch attack spell does not provoke an AoO. They feel that you can avoid the AoO from touching friends, by calling them enemies and making an offensive touch attack that does not draw an AoO.

IF that's how you rule it... Do melee attacks into a grapple have a random chance of hitting each creature occupying a square? That might just be for ranged attacks, I forget.

diaglo

Adventurer
TheGogmagog said:
IF that's how you rule it... Do melee attacks into a grapple have a random chance of hitting each creature occupying a square? That might just be for ranged attacks, I forget.
that changed with the revision. and is only ranged attacks now.

Remove ads