Is this an effective "LFG" want ad?

rkarnes

First Post
So, I am about to start a new tabletop group. I have never put up an ad like this before, and I really want to attract a group of people interested in the same thing I am. Can you read the ad, and let me know your opinions on it? What makes a good ad? What makes a bad ad?

Let's Play Pathfinder!
Every Tuesday Evening, 6:30 PM - 10:30 PM

Adventurers have gathered in the town of Drafton to explore an infamous Dwarven ruin known only as "The Crawling Grotto". The setting is generic so that players may take creative license over a portion of the world; maybe a kingdom to the east, a savage land to the west, or long war with an orc-tribe, for example. This can be discussed and introduced to the world by the players when we have a better idea of what the group wants from their game.

My goal with this campaign is for the goals for the players and their characters evolve naturally. I would like a friendly game wherein the players are not competitive with one another, every class has something to do, and NPCs have clear motivations that are apparent to the players. The first couple of game sessions will have a very simple "explore the dungeon" plot, but if everything goes well, you the players will collaborate on a richer story. I will provide the substance, if you (the players) provide the spice.

Expectations I, the DM, am prepared to fulfill;
1) I will have notes prepared for each session. I use my laptop during play, where I keep my notes. I will include several combats, several rough outlines for NPC interactions, and XP and treasure parcels planned accordingly.
2) Sometimes I will have to wing-it, because even though I love to play, plan, and run these games, I can't prepare for everything. I am good at improvising, and I usually have enough superfluous stuff prepared that I can cannibalize and jury-rig my notes to reflect how the game has changed.
3) I will use accents with my characters, because I love them. They are not great accents, though, and a lot of the time players tell me they are embarrassed for me when I do it. Some of my favorite voices are "the senile old man", "the gruff bartender", and "the effete nobleman who thinks he can pick a fight, but who should really, really keep his mouth shut."
4) I use the Paizo pre-printed laminated maps, and a vinyl dry-erase map. I also use numbered 7/8-inch poker chips to represent monsters or characters on the board. I try to make the combat exciting, engaging, and each one unique. I enjoy well crafted fights, and I get a lot of satisfaction when I see the player's characters do something well and truly heroic.
5) I am thoughtful, intelligent person who tries to obey social mores when they are appropriate, but I am also rather irreverent and have a satirical sense of humor. Those who are easily offended probably will be offended, eventually.
6) I am friendly to new players, and enjoy teaching the game to newbies. I am available to help players with the rules and make their characters.
7) I am NOT able to host right now. My apartment is too small and crowded to entertain. I am in the process of moving up in the world, and by mid-December, I will be in a larger apartment and be able to host.

Expectations I have of the players (in no particular order):
1) You keep your character sheet, noting XP, level, treasure, and stats and leveling up your character between sessions or making plans before a game to have me or another players help you level up.
2) That you try to make the games, and if life gets in the way, you let us know.
3) That you be a nice person, forgiving of other people’s flaws, and when you like something about the game, let the table know!
4) You can be a newbie totally unfamiliar with role-playing games, or you can be an old-hat who’s written published supplements.
5) That one or more of the players is gracious enough to host a few games.
6) Computers, smart-phones, and tablets are welcome, but I want players to be focused on the game.
7) That your character be fair and balanced, and that you share the spotlight by recognizing that other characters have a bailiwick.

Here's the details about the characters appropriate for play;
1) This campaign will start at level one.
2) Standard fantasy point buy (15 points to spend)
3) All the races, classes, spells, feats, and equipment from the Pathfinder Core Rule Book are allowed.
4) All characters start max hit points for first level, the average starting gold for their class.

Last edited:

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
So, I am about to start a new tabletop group. I have never put up an ad like this before, and I really want to attract a group of people interested in the same thing I am. Can you read the ad, and let me know your opinions on it? What makes a good ad? What makes a bad ad?
Honestly? TMI. I'd cut it way down.

System (check!)
Time and Place (check!)
A brief (paragraph at most) description of the first adventure and campaign setting to pique potential players' interest.
Optional: A brief (again, a paragraph at most) description of your DMing style and what you expect of players. "I run a fast and loose kitchen sink campaign, where I encourage player feedback. In return I expect everyone to be attentive during play and to demonstrate common courtesy to each other."

Bring the rest of it to your first chargen session, and talk about it then.

PS: Is max HP at 1st level not standard in PF?

rkarnes

First Post
Honestly? TMI. I'd cut it way down.

Iis this better?

Let's Play Pathfinder!

The setting is generic so that players may take creative license over a portion of the world. This can be discussed and introduced to the world by the players when we have a better idea of what the group wants from their game. The first couple of game sessions will have a very simple "explore the dungeon" plot, but if everything goes well, you the players will collaborate on a richer story.

I use a laptop to keep my notes. I frequently cannibalize published adventures and modules. I am good at improvising, but I prefer to have too much planned than too little. I use a vinyl mat and minis for combat. I like to use embarrassing accents when playing NPCs.

I am not able to host until Mid-December, so someone else will have to host until then.

Here's the details about the characters appropriate for play;
3) All the races, classes, spells, feats, and equipment from the Pathfinder Core Rule Book are allowed. There are restrictions on anything outside the Core Rule Book.
4) All characters begin play with equipment and gold equal to the average starting gold for their class.

S'mon

Legend
My ads when I used to look for players were typically "Players wanted for fortnightly Pathfinder game. Contact..."
I would not try to put a group together unless I had a venue available, though. Not many people are going to offer to let strangers run a game at their house/apartment. Having said that when I first moved to London I did respond to a 'GM wanted' type ad, and hosted the group (Australians & New Zealander who already knew each other) at my place. That got me started with a group, then I advertised for new players to fill in gaps as people moved away etc.

The advert I responded to was far less presciptive than your ad. If I'm going to host a game I'd expect a fair say in what it involved, and in general I find that splitting GMing from hosting often causes problems unless GM and host are good friends.

Edit: I think my best advice is, prep your game now, then advertise in December, once you can host. I think "Players wanted for Pathfinder game" is better than "Let's Play Pathfinder!". And don't bother with details about Point Buy & such in the ad, which should be one short paragraph. Campaign details can be sent in response to queries for more info.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That wasn't an ad - that was an essay. Ideally you want a paragraph max; the ad is there to put you in the position where you can have that detailed conversation about expectations. The purpose of an ad is to be inviting, not prescriptive.

Last edited:

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth

I like everything that you wrote. I'm not a fan of Pathfinder but your expectations for yourself and the other players make me want to play in your game.

Like the others have pointed out, it might get ignored because it's so verbose. It reads better with your expectation list removed but hold onto it so you can give it to the people who answer your ad.

d2OKC

Explorer
I think everyone else is right that it is too long. However, I would absolutely play in this game if I were close by (and had the time to play). I kind of like that it is very detailed about expectations for players and a bit of a promise from the DM. There's no surprise, and little risk involved here, and I like that.

I do get, though, that not everyone will want to read all that. I think the revised version is a very good compromise.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I think it still needs to be trimmed down a lot. Here's a slimmer version:

Let's Play Pathfinder!

The setting is generic. Players may take creative license over a portion of the world. This will be discussed and introduced to the world by the players when we have a better idea of what the group wants from their game. The first couple of game sessions will have a very simple "explore the dungeon" plot, but if everything goes well, players will collaborate on a richer story.

3) All the races, classes, spells, feats, and equipment from the Pathfinder Core Rule Book are allowed. There are restrictions on anything outside the Core Rule Book.
4) All characters begin play with equipment and gold equal to the average starting gold for their class.

#####
I removed some words I didn't think you needed in the copy that I kept, but mostly I removed the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs. IMHO, the players don't need to know where you get your material -- using pieces parts from print adventures is fairly typical, and you've already told them that you are developing the world in play, so you're not playing a AP in an existing world.

As for the bit about the location -- I wouldn't put that in the ad. It immediately puts me off. If you can't find a FLGS to play the first few sessions at, then ask the players who sign up if they might be able to host a session or two. Or hold off starting until December.

-rg

Ulrick

First Post
This advice comes straight from "D&D Personal Ads", by Tony Moseley, from Dragon 282

He suggests using a 3" x 5" index card.

Line 1: What I Want ("GM SEEKS PATHFINDER PLAYERS")
Line 2: Biological Data (Your name, gender, and perhaps age)
Line 3: The Creativity Line ("WILL GM FOR FOOD")
Line 4: Previous Experience (what ever that might be)
Line 5: Contribution Line ("players can collaborate for a richer story")
Line 6: Availability ("every Tuesday, 6:30pm to 10:30pm")
Line 7: The Exclamation Line ("Explore the Dungeon")
Line 8: The Multi-purpose line ("Take Creative License Over My World!!!")
Line 9: Contact Information
Line 10: When to call, but never provide more than a 4-hour window. "Writing that you are home more than 4 hours during the day wlll give people the impression that you are not interesting")

I used this method before, it works. I assume you're posting this at your FLGS? Or online? Either way you want to be concise. Save all that extra information for people who contact you.

Good luck.

Remove ads