• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this Curse too Cursed?

photon1966

First Post
Hello again

The rogue in my party recently tried to open a dwarven clericaly constructed door with his Use Magic Device Skill. He failed and rolled a 1, took some damage and I rolled on a table of curses and got faills all Will Saves till atones. I thought this though rather harsh. Now truw he has pissed off a Dwarven diety and now as the human clerics he went to have informed him, he is under the watchful eye of the Dwarven diety. I thought I would allow him saves but no modifiers, no matter the source. He has a decent Wisdom and so has a ok Will save, plus often various magic boosters. But I thought that the all or nothing would be too harsh as I am not out to hose tha party or the character.

Thoughts?

Infiniti2000

First Post
Auto-failing all Will saves is too harsh IMO, though I guess it's arguably better than auto-failing all Fort saves. I think your idea is better, though it's a little odd. How about just enforcing the effects of bestow curse until atoned?

ZuulMoG

First Post
Well, it's supposed to be a CURSE, not a minor hindrance. Look at some of the other curses, -4 to attack, -8 to a stat, etc...

I'd say he got off light, given the givens. Most dwarven treasure traps are lethal.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Lethal is probably a better choice than auto-failing all Will saves. I know as a player I'd much rather have my character get killed. The alternative absolutely sucks from a playing perspective, not just a character perspective. So, yeah, it's harsh, and unreasonably so.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
frankthedm said:
The 50% to lose each action is far worse.
Precisely. And, on the nice end of things, your party can easily disable you if you get cursed to fight them: all they need to do is cast a Protection from Evil, or a Sleep, or a Charm Person, on you, and they'll know that you'll be free again. In some ways this isn't so bad at all, especially compared to other curses.

Daniel

frankthedm

First Post
UMD is a skill you don't use unless you are willing to risk screwing over your own character. That is one of its balancing factors. If you can't take something bad happening to your PC, there are plenty of other skills to put the skill points into.

If someone blindly activates polymorphing pants and rolls a "1", they have no right to birtch when thier next word is "ribbit" [happened to my own rogue]

Remove ads