• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is this guy legally publishing 5e stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebulous

Legend
My opinion in all of this is pretty minimal, i don't really care about the product itself, but for some reason I find the legal discussion/ramifications of the OGL nuances fascinating. God. I'm a nerd :(

delericho

Legend
My opinion in all of this is pretty minimal, i don't really care about the product itself, but for some reason I find the legal discussion/ramifications of the OGL nuances fascinating. God. I'm a nerd :(

I know what you mean. It's much the same reason why I'm so much more active in the "business of RPGs"-style threads than in the "actual gaming"-style threads around here.

Well, that and because Paladin threads have gone out of favour ever since 4e allowed them to be any alignment. :( (or is that :) )

Coredump

Explorer
Well, that and because Paladin threads have gone out of favour ever since 4e allowed them to be any alignment. :( (or is that :) )

I think its :(

I liked that DnD was somewhat built on fantasy tropes and that not every option was available. But what do I know... I like alignments too...

delericho

Legend
I liked that DnD was somewhat built on fantasy tropes and that not every option was available. But what do I know... I like alignments too...

I'm generally of the opinion that the alignment restriction (or something like it) is an integral part of the class, so I was sad to see that go. (That said, these days I'm actually inclined to handle it rather differently.)

But the paladin threads... yeah, I don't miss those so much.

Dan Hass

First Post
Is there something I could post that would keep this thread going? Maybe get it cross-posted to all the DnD forums around the web?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Is there something I could post that would keep this thread going? Maybe get it cross-posted to all the DnD forums around the web?

If you are the real Dan hass... You could tell your side of the story

Dan Hass

First Post
Wouldn't it be sweet if I'm not actually Dan Hass, but just some fan who's backed his three previous Kickstarters and just like his stuff, so I spoofed his name on this forum to defend him?!?!

Anyway, how would the "real" Dan Hass benefit from telling his side of the story.

Now, if he can inflame this thread and keep getting free publicity...

Maybe post an obvious troll that the overwhelming majority of the posters appear nearly completely ignorant of IP law in general, and the "real" Dan Hass's products in particular...

Dan Hass

First Post
I'm quite sure that the real Dan Hass would have no inclination to share his sales figures. However there is some relevant info that is available or can be gleaned is available.

His first KS was funded at a bit over $700. Second, a bit over $800. And the third, a bit over $1500. The latest appears to be on track to finish around the 3rd. His comments on the first three indicated he was very happy with those results. So without further comment it is safe to infer that he is pleased with the progress of the 4th.

There is really no way to infer what his sales are beyond the KS, and I'm not sure there is any advantage to him sharing those figures. He did move his Dimgaard Campaign Guide from his site at www.danhass.biz to drivethrurpg.com, though. So apparently he is happy with that site as a platform for delivering his products.

So if I were the real Dan Hass, and had figured out how to produce additional content for DnD 5th edition without a C&D from WotC, I sure wouldn't share that info with a group of potential competitors. However, out of generosity, I'll share this one obvious nugget... If you want to stay in WotC's good graces, a good start is to make sure that the first paragraph of your free/nearly free product states unequivocally that to use the free/nearly free product one needs to have/buy at least $100 worth of WotC merchandise. WotC isn't stupid, and they aren't going to send a C&D to someone who is driving sales to their primary products without some good reason.

Okay. Generosity over. Now you guys need to get back to your rampant, unfounded speculations! And get that free publicity machine humming!!!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Anyway, how would the "real" Dan Hass benefit from telling his side of the story.

Now, if he can inflame this thread and keep getting free publicity...

Maybe post an obvious troll that the overwhelming majority of the posters appear nearly completely ignorant of IP law in general, and the "real" Dan Hass's products in particular...

I think at this point you need to have a discussion with [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], about your identity - we don't generally allow folks to pretend to be real people, so you're going to have to demonstrate to the site owner who you are.

Please don't continue to post under this name until you have done so. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads