• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is This Magic Item Overpowered for 5e?

L R Ballard

Explorer
I'm converting an adventure module from 2e to 5e, and I need your advice.

The original 2e adventure gives two NPCs rods of cancellation. A description of the rod and its powers appears in the 2nd edition Dungeon Master Guide (DMG 2e, 205). The rod's primary power drains all magical properties from any magic item, given a successful melee attack and subject to a save. A drained magic item's power cannot be restored, even through a wish.

Is the rod of cancellation overpowered for 5th edition? Should I substitute another magic item for the rod in the two cases in which it appears in the 2e adventure module? Or would you convert the rod to 5th edition, either with the same power or with some modifications?

Ed Laprade

First Post
I wouldn't even consider giving it to the player's unless they have to face them in combat. But if I did consider it, I'd give them charges, with a good prospect for burning them out. On the one hand, they can make going up against opponents who rely on magic items way too easy. But on the other hand, it should prevent them from getting those items to use for themselves. I guess it largely depends on how you feel about magic items in your campaign.

L R Ballard

Explorer
I wouldn't even consider giving it to the player's unless they have to face them in combat. But if I did consider it, I'd give them charges, with a good prospect for burning them out. On the one hand, they can make going up against opponents who rely on magic items way too easy. But on the other hand, it should prevent them from getting those items to use for themselves. I guess it largely depends on how you feel about magic items in your campaign.

Thanks. I'm preparing the conversion as part of the Classic Modules Today initiative. It'll be for sale on DMs Guild to gamers who want to go through an old 1e or 2e adventure module in 5e and need conversion notes.

It will be easy to convert the rod so that it lacks charges. Its entry in the 2e DMG reads in part, "Upon draining an item, the rod itself becomes brittle and cannot be used again" (DMG 2e, 205). I could use that description verbatim.

The adventure module is "Shadowdale," FRE1, the first adventure in the Avatar Trilogy. One of the NPCs who has a rod is an ally named Captain Thardock. It's unlikely the PCs wills have a context to receive the rod unless he gives it to the party as a reward.

CAUTION: The following statement is a potential spoiler. (I wish I knew how to offset text as "spoiler" text.)

The other NPC who wields a rod of cancellation is Fzoul Chembryl, the story's big villain. It's likely that he'll try to use the rod in combat if the conversion permits it. If the PCs were to kill Fzoul, they may come into possession of the rod. But the rod will have only one charge in any circumstance.

I wonder if this item, even with only one charge, is overpowered given 5th edition's goal to make magic items less common overall and harder to wield, i.e., items that require attunement.

The rod can drain an artifact or rod 10% of the time: on a roll of 1 or 2 on a d20. In theory, once drained, the artifact or relic cannot regain its power.

Too powerful for those gathered here?

Satyrn

First Post
My first thought is that it just seems like a very unfun item. The villain using it against the players is robbing them of their most precious loot, after all. Even just used once against the players feels too sucky.

So I'd probably make it suppress the magic for a month or so - it still sucks, but the players can still look forward to getting their magic back.

---------

Now, if this thing was going to be in the players' hands, I'd be tempted to leave the thing as is except I'd give the thing unlimited use - because every time they use it they'd be robbing themselves of loot! Muahahaha!

/evilDM

ccs

41st lv DM
It will be easy to convert the rod so that it lacks charges. Its entry in the 2e DMG reads in part, "Upon draining an item, the rod itself becomes brittle and cannot be used again" (DMG 2e, 205). I could use that description verbatim.

Why wouldn't you use the entire entry verbatim?
It's EASY. It tells you how to use it, what the various save DCs are, and that the RoC is a 1-shot item. Done.
Fzoul's only going to nullify 1 item. He's not stupid or inexperienced, and if he's your villain he doesn't have the parties best interests at heart. So it's quite reasonable he'll destroy whichever item would hurt the party the most.

I wonder if this item, even with only one charge, is overpowered given 5th edition's goal to make magic items less common overall and harder to wield, i.e., items that require attunement.

I don't see anything OP about an item that is made specifically to destroy 1 item. Please, use it as is. See above.

The rod can drain an artifact or rod 10% of the time: on a roll of 1 or 2 on a d20. In theory, once drained, the artifact or relic cannot regain its power.

Awesome. Could be a key plot device (for ex; see the PF AP Wrath of the Righteous, book #1) later.

Too powerful for those gathered here?

No, not even close.

L R Ballard

Explorer
So I'd probably make it suppress the magic for a month or so - it still sucks, but the players can still look forward to getting their magic back.

Option 1: A month passes. You sit beside your cherished blade the whole time, staring at Excalibur as its rests on its silken cushion like an ailing friend. Then, suddenly, the blade flickers, coming back to life! You hear its familiar low hum and see once more its brilliant blue dweomer!

Option 2: Alas, one touch from Fzoul Chembryl's slender black rod has rendered your cherished Excalibur void of all its power. You consult the sages and soothsayers, but they shake their heads, each offering you the same dim prognosis: the blade's magic is forever lost.

Then, one day, a celestial being appears before you in a blinding light. "Journey to the Abyss, slay Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead, and the divine powers of the Seven Heavens shall restore your blade to its former glory."

What do you do?

---------

Now, if this thing was going to be in the players' hands, I'd be tempted to leave the thing as is except I'd give the thing unlimited use - because every time they use it they'd be robbing themselves of loot! Muahahaha!

/evilDM

Nefarious indeed.

ccs

41st lv DM
My first thought is that it just seems like a very unfun item. The villain using it against the players is robbing them of their most precious loot, after all. Even just used once against the players feels too sucky.

Player: :( Fzoul destroyed my ____.

Fzoul (in his best imitation of Jack Sparrow): "Badguy....

Playing Fzoul I would have zero qualms about destroying a PCs magic item. Or even killing characters.

---------

/evilDM

Me too. :)
Fzoul successfully uses it? It's used up.
Players end up with it. :) :) :)

ccs

41st lv DM
Option 1: A month passes. You sit beside your cherished blade the whole time, staring at Excalibur as its rests on its silken cushion like an ailing friend. Then, suddenly, the blade flickers, coming back to life! You hear its familiar low hum and see once more its brilliant blue dweomer!

Option 2: Alas, one touch from Fzoul Chembryl's slender black rod has rendered your cherished Excalibur void of all its power. You consult the sages and soothsayers, but they shake their heads, each offering you the same dim prognosis: the blade's magic is forever lost.

Then, one day, a celestial being appears before you in a blinding light. "Journey to the Abyss, slay Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead, and the divine powers of the Seven Heavens shall restore your blade to its former glory."

What do you do?

---------

Nefarious indeed.

Option 2.

L R Ballard

Explorer
Why wouldn't you use the entire entry verbatim?
It's EASY. It tells you how to use it, what the various save DCs are, and that the RoC is a 1-shot item. Done.

Sure, I'm able to add the entire entry verbatim. The question is whether it fits the design philosophy of 5e.

Fzoul's only going to nullify 1 item. He's not stupid or inexperienced, and if he's your villain he doesn't have the parties best interests at heart. So it's quite reasonable he'll destroy whichever item would hurt the party the most.

I agree. That's how I've run my villains, even since childhood: pull out all the stops.

Remove ads