• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this puzzle solvable?

devastator

First Post
I need to make sure that this is not impossible and not too easy. I'm not sure which it truly is. I'll post what I'm going to be telling my players, you respond with how you would react/try to solve the puzzle.

Thanks!

You enter a 15x15ft room with a small dais in the middle. It is cylindrical and 3 feet tall with a diameter of 3 feet. on top of the dais 5 dice arranged in a pentagon. each one is 6 inches on each edge. They are imprinted with dots for numbers, cannot be picked up or moved, in fact they seemed magically attached to the dais.

The die faces that point up:

Around the side of the dais are two Large Jewels, one is red, one is blue. A space exists for a third jewel (the party has this in their possession, it is yellow, woohoo!)

I'll be watching this thread consistently, ill try and respond as quickly as possible to any replies.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
1 - Where are the jewels (and the slot for the yellow one) located.

Beyond that, I really have no idea what is supposed to be done.

Can the dice be rolled/tipped over to reveal a different number?

Vegepygmy

First Post
I'll post what I'm going to be telling my players, you respond with how you would react/try to solve the puzzle.
First, my character would do everything possible to avoid having to solve the puzzle. If the puzzle can't be avoided, I would then announce that I am hungry and leave the room to "look for munchies." I would then find a book to read or a TV to watch, and occasionally stick my head back into the room to see if (1) some other player has solved the puzzle or (2) the DM has gotten tired of waiting for some other player to solve it.

I know that's not what you were looking for, but honestly, that's how I would react.

Vermonter

First Post
First try history, arcana, thievery. If no knowledge checks turn up anything, then it is time to step back and let someone insert the yellow gem.

Fate Lawson

First Post
I would guess

Removing either the red or blue gem allows you to remove one of the die with the 1 showing

Then reversing which die is "solo" allows you to remove the next "1" die.

Then the Yellow gem left solo allows removal of the last "1" die.

Then either blue/yellow or red/yellow in combo allows removal of the "2" die

Then all three in combo allows removal of the last "3" die.

Then the BBG is released to consume the world.

BWAHHAHAHA.

Edit: With a little more thought: The sequence of "die removal" should probably be 1 1 2 3 1 (as in drawing a star between the points)

Last edited:

Cadfan

First Post
Ok, from your description, there's only one movable part. There's an open slot into which you could insert a yellow jewel. So I would.

I mean, is that a good thing? I dunno, I've got no idea. Can I remove the other jewels? I might try first. Can I rotate the dice? It doesn't say.

Maybe I'd steal the other color gems and hawk them.

MrGrenadine

Explorer
Mudbunny's question is a good one.

Are the gems shaped differently, so they would only fit into one spot, or are they interchangeable?

Also, are they six-sided dice?

Does the dais turn?

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I would guess

Removing either the red or blue gem allows you to remove one of the die with the 1 showing

Then reversing which die is "solo" allows you to remove the next "1" die.

Then the Yellow gem left solo allows removal of the last "1" die.

Then either blue/yellow or red/yellow in combo allows removal of the "2" die

Then all three in combo allows removal of the last "3" die.

Then the BBG is released to consume the world.

BWAHHAHAHA.

Edit: With a little more thought: The sequence of "die removal" should probably be 1 1 2 3 1 (as in drawing a star between the points)

This is approximately what I would do. Start adding and removing gems from the dais to see if the number of gems present in some way matched up with the pips on the dice (maybe they can be removed or maybe they change color or maybe they can be pressed).

devastator

First Post
The Dais is stationary.
The die are 6 sided and cannot be tipped over or moved(as stated above).
Each gem is uniquely shaped.
The yellow gem fits the slot. You notice as you insert it that you can push the gems like buttons.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads