• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this the right forum for OGL homebrew?

Will

First Post
I've been working on a system that's OGL, D&D but with a bunch of system changes.

Is this the right forum for discussing/getting feedback about it?

Chalice

Explorer
I don't know much about all these alternative d20 systems, but I am very curious, if that helps!

My experience lies with 3rd edition, and now Trailblazer (well, I have read it), so if that perpsective would be of use, I'm more than happy to contribute to the discussion.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Yes.

That's pretty much what I do (homebrewed D&D-based system). If you post something that's easily digestible, I and probably some other folks are likely to comment on it.

Will

First Post
Well, I have everything but magic worked out and am trying to make the document legible (debating what format for the document -- which is a good question, what would be ideal? A formatted Word or RTF document? A laid-out webpage?)

The overview of the system
Goals
Somewhat inspired by older editions, and adding in elements from FATE (Aspects, primarily) -- Aspects are descriptive elements that can be called on to use action points (basically) or work against the player to earn action points.

Fairly flat power scale. Everyone has 4 hit points, most hits do one hit point, players can decide to take a condition (slow, flat-footed, fatigued) instead of damage.

Ability power scale flat -- ability score/4 is your bonus with it. Suggested ability score generation of ye olde 3d6 in order.

Feats to swap scores (Fight with Dex or Int or Cha instead of Str). This makes it fairly easy to be a low Str fighter if you want.

The big challenge I'm facing now is deciding what to do with magic. I want something easier to run and more interesting/less overwhelming than 3.5 magic, but I'm torn between that and appealing to the familiarity of core spells.

Ideally I'd like mages to have more ability to do impossible but less powerful things, with an eye toward FATE conditions. So, for example, a room might have the quality 'dark,' and a mage can wave her hands and make it 'light,' possibly costing condition or hit points.

Still trying to work out some system around that (I have about 4 different systems for magic worked out. mmmph)

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
Swapping scores is good to an extent, but you have to be careful to make sure you aren't encouraging people to dump a certain ability score more than the game already does.

As to magic, I'd look at the PF words of power or ENW's Elements of Magic. I'd also consider a number of UA variants. Vitalizing spell points might be of interest.

Personally, I always end up reformatting things to put them in a forum post or any online venue; I don't find that word or rtf work very well.

Chalice

Explorer
what would be ideal? A formatted Word or RTF document? A laid-out webpage?
Personally, I am in favour of a MS Word document.

adding in elements from FATE (Aspects, primarily) -- Aspects are descriptive elements that can be called on to use action points (basically) or work against the player to earn action points.
Interesting. You're aiming for a sort of "pro-narrative" influence? Sounds potentially very suitable for things like bringing a character's background into play more, and the like.

Everyone has 4 hit points, most hits do one hit point, players can decide to take a condition (slow, flat-footed, fatigued) instead of damage.
So there is absolutely no chance of sudden death, or similar results? :erm: And how far can this trading go - can a character simply opt out of damage forever?

Ability power scale flat -- ability score/4 is your bonus with it. Suggested ability score generation of ye olde 3d6 in order.
Ability score/3 would seem to be a much neater fit, at first glance.

Feats to swap scores (Fight with Dex or Int or Cha instead of Str). This makes it fairly easy to be a low Str fighter if you want.
I would prefer either two "Fighter" classes (one Dex-based, and one Str-based), or enough flexibility within the Fighter class to allow for Str-based or Dex-based combatants. As for other abilities, I don't think they should come into it that much. All the best fighters in history, the current day, literature, and so on, are strong and/or quick.

Still trying to work out some system around that (I have about 4 different systems for magic worked out. mmmph)
If you want feedback on them, post them up. :)

Last edited:

Arlough

Explorer
Well, I have everything but magic worked out and am trying to make the document legible (debating what format for the document -- which is a good question, what would be ideal? A formatted Word or RTF document? A laid-out webpage?)
Perhaps put it in Google Docs as a, well, document. This would make it accessible from any internet connected location, and you can share it with whomever you choose. You could also limit them to viewing, so you have editorial control.

The overview of the system
Goals
Somewhat inspired by older editions, and adding in elements from FATE (Aspects, primarily) -- Aspects are descriptive elements that can be called on to use action points (basically) or work against the player to earn action points.

Fairly flat power scale. Everyone has 4 hit points, most hits do one hit point, players can decide to take a condition (slow, flat-footed, fatigued) instead of damage.

Why not do away with ability scores and just take aspects to the next level.
Then again, I guess that would pretty much mean that you had another version of FATE....

[joking]Why not create another version of Fate.[/joking]

The big challenge I'm facing now is deciding what to do with magic. I want something easier to run and more interesting/less overwhelming than 3.5 magic, but I'm torn between that and appealing to the familiarity of core spells.

Ideally I'd like mages to have more ability to do impossible but less powerful things, with an eye toward FATE conditions. So, for example, a room might have the quality 'dark,' and a mage can wave her hands and make it 'light,' possibly costing condition or hit points.

Actually, it sounds like you may want to actually use FATE. I would suggest at least looking at Strands of Fate.

Aside from that, perhaps you could do something similar to what they are doing in D&DNext/5th.
Extremely low level spells are At-Will and mostly do effects (only one did any damage if I recall.)
Higher level spells take up slots, and any spell you don't want to use a slot for takes time &/or components. Then have the mage suffer stress or "fatigue" where some XP are expended until a short rest, but no surges or spells are needed to get them back at that point.

Remove ads