• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this too over the top? (Class/prestige combo)

Malin Genie

First Post
I love the idea! Sounds like he could be a very enjoyable character, if roleplayed well :)

IMHO a DM should always err on the idea of flexibility - that is part of the spirit of 3E. If a player wants to do something 'different', let her - but if it makes the character more powerful, assess a penalty (such as ECL +1, or fewer attribute points, etc) to balance it.

Soltares

First Post
Madness is no longer Prestige only.

It is listed as a normal (takable at first level) Domain in Dieties & Demigods and the Kalamar Players Guide.

Boccob is already listed in Defenders of the Faith as being able to grant it, so it's legal, and interesting.

Dust

First Post
A compromise?

How about this?
Let him begin as a cleric worshipping Boccob, with Knowledge and Magic as domains, but let the character roleplay his growing connection with the Far Realm. As his madness and his delve into "That Which Man Was Not Meant to Know" grows, he begins to draw his divine power from the Far Realm rather than from Boccob. When he takes his first level of Alienist, let him drop the Magic domain and pick up the Madness domain: it gives you a perfect in game explanation.
I've always thought it would be fun to play a divine Alienist who no longer worships a god, or rather, thinks he does but is actually drawing his power from something else.

Vargo

First Post
I'm really liking the ideas...

Actually, when I said "becoming an Alienist at such a low level" - it's impossible for a Cleric to become an alienist at a level less than somewhere around 12-14th (can't do the math right now, my head hurts. :p ) without taking the Knowledge domain.

Given what Sean said, I'll be letting him take Madness up front. Yeah, he loses two Wis points later on, but he's making it up on the Madness front as far as spell bonuses/DC goes - and it just makes all my Will spells easier on him.

Heh.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads