Is TTRPGing an "Expensive Hobby"

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Carrying over from another thread:

People in the hobby don't bat an eye about dropping $150 on a book or two for an RPG they might never play. It's not expensive to you because you regularly spend that kind of money on books you'll likely never use because you can afford to spend that money. It's a shifting baseline / Overton window thing. To people outside the hobby or those who aren't as well off...it looks nuts. I've worked in comic & game stores and had more than a few people flip the books over and literally laugh at the price tag before dropping them back on the shelf and walking away. I've also brought a lot of people into the hobby over the years, people are more reluctant to drop all the necessary money on the books and peripherals than they are to playing pretend and looking silly. Honestly the proper response to "it's not that expensive" should be "your privilege is showing."

Should the question in this thread title have "relatively" in it? In any case...

I would argue that any hobby can be made expensive. One can spend upper three figures on an ultra-light tent and similar amounts on the ultra light sleeping bag and on top of the line versions of other backpacking gear. But one can also buy functional things for a lot less and be fully set to go reasonably backpacking for significantly less than the other person spent on just their tent (and that's without buying used). Backpacking also often needs one to pay for use of the campground and maybe drive there, and I would happily accept that backpacking is certainly more expensive than, say, walking. But many walkers would like a semi-comfortable pair of shoes. Is something like bridge or euchre that only needs a deck of cards an example of a truly cheap hobby? (Have you seen what CVS or Walgreens is getting for playing cards if they've sold out of the few cheap ones and only have the fancy Bicycle ones left?).

Is the $150 on a book or two for a game they might never play the RPG version of the ultra-light camper example? What is the minimum cost to play an RPG that has published rules? For D&D is it one person in the group having a phone to get the SRD, there being one set of dice or sharing a dice roller on the phone, and some paper and pencils. Google says one study found that even 94% of the homeless had a cellphone. That feels like it means it can be done "non-expensively".

As far as laughing at a $50 price tag on a gaming book, I would wager that for almost all the folks with the leisure time to get over to and then wander through game stores, that they are laughing because they don't think this particular thing is worth the money, but that they spend amounts on other "luxury goods" that show that it wasn't the $50 (a couple going to the movies and getting popcorn? a week and a half of getting a froofy coffee each morning? a new video games? a few streaming services? regular comic book reader? a group going bowling or mini-putting once? etc...).

Last edited:

grankless

Adventurer
Most good games out there are like 10-20 bucks. No force on earth will make me spend 150 dollars on entertainment, even if I end up being the one to buy games that I wanna check out.

woefulhc

Explorer
I would say, "No." That isn't to say it is everyone's or even most people's budget. A couple going to a movie and getting drinks/snacks there can easily run $50. Typically that is roughly 2-3 hours of entertainment for 2 people. While my Dungeon Fantasy RPG boxed set ran $80 and the kickstarter I backed for an easy on ramp ran about $50, I used that to entertain myself and 4-7 people for 3 hours a week for 9 months. Call that 540 people hours for $130. None of my players needed to purchase anything. They just needed to show up. Did a couple of them buy dice, books or minis? Sure. While my purchase price was roughly 3× that of a movie for a couple, the entertainment hours are roughly 9× as much. Additionally, I can run more games with 0 additional outlay. That leads me to say it is not a relatively expensive hobby. Is it discretional spending? Sure. So is going to a movie or racing at the go-cart track.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I would say, "No." That isn't to say it is everyone's or even most people's budget. A couple going to a movie and getting drinks/snacks there can easily run $50. Typically that is roughly 2-3 hours of entertainment for 2 people. While my Dungeon Fantasy RPG boxed set ran $80 and the kickstarter I backed for an easy on ramp ran about $50, I used that to entertain myself and 4-7 people for 3 hours a week for 9 months. Call that 540 people hours for $130. None of my players needed to purchase anything. They just needed to show up. Did a couple of them buy dice, books or minis? Sure. While my purchase price was roughly 3× that of a movie for a couple, the entertainment hours are roughly 9× as much. Additionally, I can run more games with 0 additional outlay. That leads me to say it is not a relatively expensive hobby. Is it discretional spending? Sure. So is going to a movie or racing at the go-cart track.
Don’t you get it? There are starving people who can’t afford a Twinkie! Shame on your movie!

In all seriousness if you want to play an rpg and don’t live in a van down by the river it’s dirt cheap over time.

Buying books used is even cheaper…buying them used and passing them around the table is unbelievable value.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
It absolutely can be expensive, but it can also be one of the cheapest hobbies going.

I spend a fair bit, because I can and I want to.

I have a couple of players who will buy core books for whatever game I decide to run, and I have some players whose only expense is the transport costs to get to the session.

If none of us could afford expensive hardback rules, there are a multitude of free or cheap options out there.

Remove ads